Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 camaro z28 voltage issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 camaro z28 voltage issue

Hey guys looking for some help.

2002 camaro
Voltage gauge on dash shows 12volts
Diablo scanner shows 13.3 volts
Voltmeter at battery shows 14.03 volts

All these were read while the vehicle was running. I have had the battery load tested multiple times as well as tried a new battery. Had alternator test 6 times and passed every time.

While running the car at the track the car voltage gauge kept getting lower and lower after each pass. Even with cool down time. Not consistent running.

Tach does not work because of cam sensor low voltage code.

Check gauges light is on.
The gauges do a sweep on start up.

I have replaced starter. Main positive wires. Battery.

Any other ideas I can try?
Old 07-06-2017, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gauges are not suppose to do a full sweep. I'm thinking you have a ground from the engine that is bad. If the cam sensor is out I bet the ground on the drivers side head on the back is damaged as well

My advice is to pull the intake manifold, replace the cam sensor, and check the ground cables going to the bolt on the back of the drivers side cylinder head
Old 07-06-2017, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Ok. I will give this a shot. I replaced the cam sensor with a new one and still have the cam code. I pulled the cover off the negative cable on the battery and looks a little corroded, going to replace that and clean the ground on the back side of the head.

Thank you for the help.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

I haven't had time to get the intake off to check back ground, but I did replace main battery ground. A little bit higher on the voltage gauge but still below 13. Will try and get intake off this weekend.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure on the Camaro but my c5 corvette had corotted connections that were burnt and dirty. When cleaned and re-spliced voltage is stable now.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:02 AM
On The Tree

What connections did you replace? While under the car I looked up to the back side of the driver side head and seen the multiple grounds, looked corroded and the bolt head looked nasty. Going to pull the intake and inspect those grounds this weekend.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Pulled the intake today. Checked the grounds on the back of head. They look intact. I pulled the tape and loom back and they are still connected.

Did pull the cam sensor and it looks like the reluctor wheel was touching the sensor a little bit.
2002 camaro z28 voltage issue-trdermw.jpg

2002 camaro z28 voltage issue-bwrup8w.jpg

Last edited by Jfab; 07-13-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe there are suppose to be 3 ground wires, but I could be wrong. The other green wire in the back ground of one of the pics is also a ground wire if I remember correctly
Old 07-14-2017, 04:18 AM
On The Tree

Yes there is 3. The other one looked much better than the two so I figured I would show the two. I ordered a new acdelco cam sensor to see if that fixes my cam sensor issue. And will make sure the grounds are clean when putting them back together.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

on the corvette the alternator wire and battery wire are connected thru the starter solenoid. This location is hot at all times so would have to be disconnected. But the eyelets were pretty bad and my voltage would jump around and was not stable.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

I replaced the main power and negative wire from the battery. Also replaced the ground from behind the alternator to the chassis because it was tore. Once new cam sensor comes in, I will install and maybe ad another ground. I was looking at the harness diagram and it looks there is a ground through the harness by the alternator wiring and 02 plug on driver side lower. Going to check those as well.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:00 AM
On The Tree

Well guys I bought a acdelco cam sensor, pulled the harness apart to make sure no bad grounds, cleaned the grounds on the back of the head and BAM! No more cam code, and the tach works now! Finally!!!!

still noticing a lower voltage, may be an issue with the alternator. I will check the single wire to the alternator tomorrow.

Quick Reply: 2002 camaro z28 voltage issue