Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug wires coming apart!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spark plug wires coming apart!?!?!?

I've had 2 different brands of wires on my car since I put the LS in it. I've experienced the same problem with both. When I pull the boot off the spark plug, the metal clip stays attached to the plug and the boot and wire pulls off the clip.

Anyone else have this issue???

I had a small block chevy for over 10 years and NEVER had one issue with wires. I dont understand why the LS wires would be any different, they should be crimped the same as any other wire. But its happened to me at least 6 times, maybe more with the LS wires now.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah broke a set of Taylor's and a set of msd's. Now all I use are the AutoZone brand so I can just swap them out every time I change the plugs under warranty
Old 07-29-2017, 12:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

buy better plug wires, or remove them the right way.

firecore50.com
Old 07-29-2017, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Yeah broke a set of Taylor's and a set of msd's. Now all I use are the AutoZone brand so I can just swap them out every time I change the plugs under warranty
Funny...those are the same two companies that I tried :/
Old 07-29-2017, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

It's been mostly agreed that the best spark plug wires are the ones being sold with a lifetime warranty closest to your house.

The only people who haven't broken a plug wire are the same people who don't regularly change plugs. Most I could get out of a set of wires regardless of manufacturers is 2 plug changes before breaking one wire
Old 07-30-2017, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone tried using dielectric grease on the connections?
Old 07-30-2017, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried the taylor wires too and they they came apart. Pretty pissed at taylor over that deal. I just ordered some red summit brand that had pretty good reviews and the look and feel like good quality but haven't installed yet.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by xny1989
Anyone tried using dielectric grease on the connections?

Every time. Doesn't make a difference, the wire just has a tight connection to the plug.

It's doesn't matter how you remove them, you end up pulling the wire and the plug connector off of the wire. So you end up with a plug that has the connector and a piece of wire hanging off of it.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Every time. Doesn't make a difference, the wire just has a tight connection to the plug.

It's doesn't matter how you remove them, you end up pulling the wire and the plug connector off of the wire. So you end up with a plug that has the connector and a piece of wire hanging off of it.
Thats exactly my situation

But I dont understand why I never had this happen with wires when I had a small block chevy in my car??? I checked and changed plugs just as much back then. Its not like the wires are made different. Isnt the metal clip inside the boot the same damn thing?

The only thing different is the plugs. I ran autolites in my sbc and run ngk in my LS. Could the end of the plug where the wire clips on actually be different?
Old 08-01-2017, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Originally Posted by LQ4BU
The only thing different is the plugs. I ran autolites in my sbc and run ngk in my LS. Could the end of the plug where the wire clips on actually be different?
That should be something VERY easy to visually check.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

I got four plug changes on my stock GM plug wires.
This was back in the day when TR-55 was new tech for the LS1

The factory wires seemed to be more durable regarding plug changes than any of the aftermarket wires I've had since. I toss the wires when doing plugs every time now days.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:43 AM
TECH Addict

It's not the plugs it's the ultra thick rubber boot that insulates the connection. It prevents you from getting a solid grip on the metal wire connector. Even if you pinch the **** out of the boot you can't grab the connector to free it from the plug
Old 09-29-2017, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So what wires should we buy or get? My car has OEM looking wires with the metal case around the part by the plugs.
My son has msd and one wire by the coil doesn't click as something inside has fallen off so it comes lose and then once in a while a wire will come off the plug casing a mis fire. He wants to buy msd again, i to,d him Taylor but with this info I don't want to get either now.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

I generally run stock GM wires, with the boot grease (not much, or the boot will push off after a few minutes). Twist the boot before pulling up, and keep twisting back and forth while pulling. On fresh wires that I buy, so far (knock on wood) I have not ripped one yet.

I do tear apart a lot of engines in the yard, and I can say probably 70-75% of them still have factory wires on them. MOST, as soon as you touch the wire at the boot, it will fall apart. I don't understand if the coils have some much energy, they degrade the wire, and then the boot at the corner bend because maybe there is a bit more resistance there?
Old 10-16-2017, 08:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I had bad luck with ac delcos (coming apart), and good luck with msd and firecore. I will be sticking to those brands.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've changed plugs in my car at least 15 times this summer while looking at them for my nitrous tune up. Never had a plug wire break the entire summer..

Went from tr55, to br7ef. Played around on spray with the br7s and then went to tr6s NA.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:27 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Same here, I've never had a wire come apart. I use Granatelli wires that have a lifetime warranty.

I think the trick is first twisting the boot on the plug first to "un-stuck" it then pulling on the boot AND pulling on the wire at the same time. Pulling one or the other alone increases the chance of separation.

"un-stuck" meaning like you take off a radiator hose clamp and the hose seems glued to the radiator outlet.

Quick Reply: Spark plug wires coming apart!?!?!?