Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch can oil amount query?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Catch can oil amount query?

Hi Guys,

Im running a Mike Norris catch can on my LS1.

For anybody else running a can - how much oil/crap do you collect in there over say 2000 miles?

i emptied mine last night after 1900 miles and there was approx 50ml of what looked like straight mobil 1 5w30 inside. I changed the oil in the motor 1900 miles ago, so this catch can oil looked just like mobil 1 coming out of the bottle.

Just wondered how much you lot are catching in your cans.

To think that this was going through the intake and into the combustion chambers before
Old 09-16-2017, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheNutDriver
Hi Guys,

Im running a Mike Norris catch can on my LS1.

For anybody else running a can - how much oil/crap do you collect in there over say 2000 miles?

i emptied mine last night after 1900 miles and there was approx 50ml of what looked like straight mobil 1 5w30 inside. I changed the oil in the motor 1900 miles ago, so this catch can oil looked just like mobil 1 coming out of the bottle.

Just wondered how much you lot are catching in your cans.

To think that this was going through the intake and into the combustion chambers before
I would say I have maybe a tbsp or less after 2-3k. I'm running a simple $50 can I purchased from corvette mods. It's a pretty small can. I've had it on there for few years and never had to drain it due to there's not much in there. I run m1 5-30 and car has 136k. My buddy has the same can on his ss with 80k miles and his always has more then mine for some reason. He changed his pcv valve and said that helped a little bit.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in a Hotter, Dry Climate (Las Vegas) and hardly ever get anything in my Catch Can. I check mine every 3,000 miles and usually have a few tablespoons worth, and it is generally not the milky looking oil you usually see, it is just cleanish oil. I always let my truck warm up to operating temp and drive it at least 30 miles, if that matters.

I use the Elite Engineering 07-13 NNBS Truck E2-X Single Valve Can kit with Cleanside Separator. I always use Mobil 1 Extended Performance, and now the Annual Protection Full Synthetic 5w-30 with matching tall filter (M1-212A) and change it every 6,000 miles.

Last edited by 07NBSChevy; 09-25-2017 at 03:33 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I have had some issues with catch cans. I currently run 2 in series, and from both of them, over less than 1k miles, i got about 1/4 cup combined. I think this is too high for such low mileage. I'm no engineer but I suspect that having a higher airflow through the engine leads to more caught oil. So lets say I have very unrestricted cans, and use very large tubing like 3/8in. I can flow more air (and oil) than if I use 1/4 tube or have a very restrictive filter. Simple fluid dynamics- restricted things flow less, which would lead to less oil filtered out too.

Quick Reply: Catch can oil amount query?