Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Novice Gen3 LS engine question (starter, a/c compressor)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 12:07 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Novice Gen3 LS engine question (starter, a/c compressor)

Hello I am new to LS platform, couple of novice questions
Engine is OEM 5.3L with F-body accessories

1. I noted my F-body starter is falling apart on the inside. The lugs that hold the wires are literally twisting around inside the solenoid. Is this a common F-body (98-02) starter issue, should I install a next Fbody starter, or 'upgrade' to a new unit from ebay, or other recommendation? asking because I read about some people having issue with the flexplate on various starters, I just want to avoid flexplate hanging/grinding issues when changing it. Also the block breaks sometimes. I am using both long bolts.

2. Right now I am using Fbody accessory stock location. I want to try relocation brackets to avoid having to drill the next block for the alternator. Please, recommend a relocation system you have experience which moves the alt/PS both perhaps more center to the engine, or even over to the passenger side somehow.

3. A/C compressors all seem to fit on the passenger side. My turbo is in the way there. So I am curious, before I start trying to make any old random compressor work and fab bracket for it on the driver side, if anybody has any other ideas (knows about a compressor setup that might work in a tight space)

I have other dumb questions but this is enough to be fun for the day
Old 09-17-2017, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Do you have enough room for the truck setup? Then no need to drill....
Old 09-17-2017, 03:47 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Its good advice. Yet I fear I do not have the luxury of that additional space under the hood for oem location truck accessories Or I would have used it. Also, the turbo "crossover" is significant and leaves not much room between radiator and crank pulley. I could use a relocation kit, and move the radiator and re-design the crossover (I might have to anyways to get A/C if I want it this year) thus being able to use a truck offset and avoid having to ever pull a balancer off a JY engine again maybe(leaky front main sounds likely...) which would be nice maybe. maybe. But, if I assume all front mains leak, I assume I always have to pull the balancer anyways, which means no big deal putting the Fbody offset into play. See what Im sayin' friend
Old 09-18-2017, 10:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this in an Fbody? Are you not clearing the hood with the truck alt location? I had an LM7 in my car and I went with the Fbody accessories and drilled the block for the low alternator mount. It literally took 15 minutes and is super easy. If you don't want to do that then I would recommend one of the alternator relocation brackets that the turbo cars use that relocate the alternator to the passenger side.

Quick Reply: Novice Gen3 LS engine question (starter, a/c compressor)