Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Msd leads review and track results

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Msd leads review and track results

I am going to write up all the mods I have done to my ls1 and review them, I’ll have this little disclaimer before each of the reviews and results, skip if you have read my past review disclaimers

i have an ls1 swapped 82 Vette, lightened a lot of it (as it sits now with a full tank of fuel it is at 2900lbs.
mods, Howard’s asa cam, home ported 241 heads, shorties with no cats, 2.25”duels, pod filter right on the throttle body (with fresh air duct), 2.87 rear end, mickey thompson 255/60/15 tyres, stock converter

i own a modern Gtech pro (50hz as opposed to most 10hz), and also have 1 mile of tarmac on my property. So I measure my 1/4 mile sometimes 20 times a day.

Here is is a baseline of my results (doesn’t include the times of the mods I will be reviewing and measuring) (I’ll try convert some to imperial, I’m an Aussie so we do metric, and times differ very slightly between the 2, my 1/8th mile is measured from 200m, so might be .05 difference in some spots
60’ 1.98
100kph 4.03
1/8 7.8@95mph
1/4 11.97@118mph

this is the average, some results I have that are slightly better, but I have the advantage with my Vette having such a low gear ratio that I dead hook on launches, so all the 100’s of results and runs I have made (all on “the street”, my asphalt is only as good as standard roads) are all within 0.05secs. I try do all my runs at the same temp and also no tail winds etc. I will be installing a 3200 stall very last on my car, as I think the wheelspin would make it much harder to get consistent results on the street, and I’m just as keen to see the real world results of the msd leads, fast 90 intake, 90 throttle body, powerbond 25% pulley, ported 243 heads, ram air and also the stall. All of which I will be installing in the very near future and will do one by one.

so. Msd leads, there is an ad on eBay somewhere in America with somebody that can make them up and send them out to you. I’m sure he has done thousands and seems like he has hundreds of great reviews.

my ls1 already had tailor 10.5mm leads on them, but I thought I might upgrade, I measured the ohmage of all the tailor leads, was getting on average of 0.75 ohms (I think that was with the multimeter set to 20k ohm setting. Bought some eBay leads and they were 4.8, that’s right, all of them had about 8 times the resistance of tailors. I complained and got my money back. Bought new msd’s at A tailored length (I just used stock short length) about 75usd posted to Australia. Got them, measured them, 0.02-0.01, the lowest value my multimeter could possibly measure, couldn’t believe it. Fit perfect. Takes a bit to press them into the coils, but that’s fine.
my quarter mile times were much more consistent, I like to measure 30-90kph a lot, as there is no gear change and no wheelspin, and the launch doesn’t effect that time, and there was a slight improvement, quarter mile was faster by about .06 consistently, but there has not been many wayward results since. At times with the old leads I could get the odd quarter mile .5 slower and take a few hits to do the quarter in 12.1 or a best of 12.05. Within the first few launches I got into the 11’s (11.997) and since have had one at 11.93, but I might put that down to an “odd” run.

So, should you buy these? Yes, they are cheaper than most msd’s out there, this guy certainly makes them very well, can pull off the leads very securely, customise the colour, length and even have high heat boots on them, and have a lower resistance than what boxed msd’s have. No slight draw backs, even if you have good leads at the moment, you can swap and know that consistent results will follow (which, as a result of consistency of these leads and my quarter mile times, I am doing these accurate write ups)

Last edited by Jade Mills; 09-18-2017 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Word result spelt wrong
Old 09-19-2017, 03:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Leads aren't gonna add anything. If your engine is running right on factory leads then it will be the same on MSD leads. Its just wire.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. I should add that any benefits I had are due to my old leads not doing what they should all the time. Basically I’m reporting on the track results of properly working leads, I’m sure those eBay ones I got (that literally had 400-800 times more resistance) could have generated a strong spark too, but for a couple of dollars more I would rather not try.

There were inconsistencies with my last leads which I assumed were fine, and car is now as fast all the time as opposed to just the rare occasions.

It’s up to the readers to think of the resistance has any play in this, I’m sure a 10,000 volt spark will get across any of the above leads mentioned, I’m not saying the msd leads will add power. Or if it did it will be insignificant

but yes I agree with you

Quick Reply: Msd leads review and track results