Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed engineering Y pipe with dual cutouts project

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 12:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
Looking forward to seeing how well your changes fix the clearance issue.

Is the other pipe from Kooks or TSP? Did you purchase it new? Too bad it's not a direct fit to the SE headers. It doesn't look like it's oval shape on the driver side either? Do you have it on hand as a backup option if you decide to not go with the SE after making the adjustments?
Yes its the TSP pipe which looks like a clone of the kooks. The driver side is actually oval its just hard to tell in pic. It gets even more oval on driver side where it makes the bend towards the merge. Notice it also bends "up" to the merge to position the merge higher up. I can tell you that its possible to adjust the merge so high it would hit the driveshaft. The TSP pipe is a very nice y pipe. Its totally a knock off of the Kooks and ARH y pipe for about 1/3 the price.

I took the "stupid" pipe to a muffler shop today to try and get that unwanted bend out but there is not enough straight pipe on either side of that bend to keep from jacking the rest of the pipe up so Im gonna have to try and heat it and bend it. If that doesn't work I will modify the TSP pipe and use it.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Yes its the TSP pipe which looks like a clone of the kooks. The driver side is actually oval its just hard to tell in pic. It gets even more oval on driver side where it makes the bend towards the merge. Notice it also bends "up" to the merge to position the merge higher up. I can tell you that its possible to adjust the merge so high it would hit the driveshaft. The TSP pipe is a very nice y pipe. Its totally a knock off of the Kooks and ARH y pipe for about 1/3 the price.

I took the "stupid" pipe to a muffler shop today to try and get that unwanted bend out but there is not enough straight pipe on either side
of that bend to keep from jacking the rest of the pipe up so Im gonna have to try and heat it and bend it. If that doesn't work I will modify the TSP pipe and use it.
Please take under car pics of everything once you get it all setup and clearance measurements. What kind of torque arm brace do you have? Are you using a long or short torque arm? Curious as to whether or not the TSP needs a brace that drops down in order to clear it. Is it 3" in and 3" out?
Old 11-14-2017, 01:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Please take under car pics of everything once you get it all setup and clearance measurements. What kind of torque arm brace do you have? Are you using a long or short torque arm? Curious as to whether or not the TSP needs a brace that drops down in order to clear it. Is it 3" in and 3" out?
I can promise you that the TSP will NOT need a drop down.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

I can promise you that the TSP will NOT need a drop down.
Good to know. Are you considering doing the dual cut outs like on the modded pacesetter pipe? This way, everything after the Y merge can be used to reduce the smell and noise, and opening the dual cutouts will result in flow not being effected. Can't have this if the cutout is in the I-pipe location cause then there's no room for the cats/resonator. If quietness and fuel smell aren't a concern, then that modded TSP should tuck in nicely.

Last edited by 5.7stroker; 11-14-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Good to know. Are you considering doing the dual cut outs like on the modded pacesetter pipe? This way, everything after the Y merge can be used to reduce the smell and noise, and opening the dual cutouts will result in flow not being effected. Can't have this if the cutout is in the I-pipe location cause then there's no room for the cats/resonator. If quietness and fuel smell aren't a concern, then that modded TSP should tuck in nicely.
the exhaust i put behind the y is gonna be open enough i dont think there will be a need. I have my eye on the TSP 3.5" catback with built in 3.5" cutout.

I however do really like that Pacesetter y pipe you got there. That is kinda the best of both worlds.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

the exhaust i put behind the y is gonna be open enough i dont think there will be a need. I have my eye on the TSP 3.5" catback with built in 3.5" cutout.

I however do really like that Pacesetter y pipe you got there. That is kinda the best of both worlds.
Bad *** but are you gonna use the dual 3" into single 3" y pipe though? Is there a dual 3" into a 3.5"

I like the **** out of that TSP Y pipe. If I were to ever do an F body again I wouldn't do a dual 3" into a single, but Y pipes have came a long way that's for sure.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Bad *** but are you gonna use the dual 3" into single 3" y pipe though? Is there a dual 3" into a 3.5"

I like the **** out of that TSP Y pipe. If I were to ever do an F body again I wouldn't do a dual 3" into a single, but Y pipes have came a long way that's for sure.
im going to expand the pipe to 3.5" O.D. so the TSP 3.5" catback will slip over it because the mid pipe on the TSP 3.5" is flared to a 3.5" I.D.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

im going to expand the pipe to 3.5" O.D. so the TSP 3.5" catback will slip over it because the mid pipe on the TSP 3.5" is flared to a 3.5" I.D.
I get that part but there will still be the dual 3" going into a single 3" that you'll spread the end on. Then to a 3.5. That single 3" part sucks when you look at the rest of the system
Old 11-14-2017, 10:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
I get that part but there will still be the dual 3" going into a single 3" that you'll spread the end on. Then to a 3.5. That single 3" part sucks when you look at the rest of the system
I guess what Im saying is that 3.5" will be the smallest point. Have you ever measured the diameter of an x pipe? Some of them are cut in half then welded together. Most of them are 3" some are 3.5".
Old 11-17-2017, 06:31 PM
TECH Junkie

First pic will show just how high you can adjust the pipes where the merge is. I could have the merge on the driveshaft if I wanted. Thats how high the merge tucks which is higher than the stock merge. This merge will fit inside the stock tunnel brace. Thats how high it is. The aftermarket tunnel mount torque arm crossmembers have the brace welded to the bottoms of the plates that bolt to the body so it will actually have more clearance than the stock tunnel brace.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Second pic will show that the pipe comes STRAIGHT off of the collector. No bend down whatsoever. Third pic will show that even with the pipe coming straight off the header that there is about 1/4" clearance from the floor of the car. Its hard to tell in the pics but the pipe is slightly oval in this area. The pipe gets much more oval after this area.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

a few more..

Highest possible tuck FTW

Last edited by Full-Force; 11-17-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:42 PM
TECH Junkie

I will take some pics of the ground clearance once I get the rest of the exhaust installed and get my subframe connectors welded on. Too much of a pain in the *** to get car jacked up to let it down and get it back up in the air just for pics.

This y pipe is the biggest win EVER for f bodies. Price, fit, etc.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

I will take some pics of the ground clearance once I get the rest of the exhaust installed and get my subframe connectors welded on. Too much of a pain in the *** to get car jacked up to let it down and get it back up in the air just for pics.

This y pipe is the biggest win EVER for f bodies. Price, fit, etc.
That looks very nicely tucked up under there! I'm liking it!
Old 11-17-2017, 09:07 PM
TECH Junkie

That looks very nicely tucked up under there! I'm liking it!
Copy of the Kooks/ARH or not its a damn nice piece!

Quick Reply: Speed engineering Y pipe with dual cutouts project