Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice with new exhaust set-up

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
Drone happens even on Corvettes and Gen 5 Camaros with bullets. You need enough absorbing material to absorb the sound waves. Guess what... F-Bodies don't have a lot of space for large enough mufflers (need a 6" canister at min).

But the issue with the Kooks and Speed Eng duals is pretty simple - they put the mufflers at the end of the pipes. You need the mufflers in front of the axles and a good 2' of pipe after them to really cut the drone. By putting the mufflers on the end of the exhaust, you limit their effectiveness.

I put 6" round, 14" long Dynomax canisters on mine. And it is certainly better. But it is not at all drone-less. It's still insane. And for some reason, my car is louder than most other people's. I was seeing 105db at idle. Now I see 94.
Well put sir. I don't expect the car to sound like a Cadillac but there has to be ways to reverse the effect minimally and still keep the true duel exhaust. Haha that's really all I was asking. Thank you guys for all the feedback and input.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:44 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

True duals on these cars sound great. But to daily drive the car and be able to hear the stereo, means it needs a little bit of help to tone it down inside the car. The hatch also acts as a giant reverbaphone - so adding sound deadening material there helps.

One thing the UltraFlos did was add tone. The bullets don't really do much. It sounds harsh and tone-less and even raspy.

The UltraFlos made it deeper.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I just posted a thread for the EXACT same problem I had been searching for some answers now I find this. I'm ashamed of my search skills!
Old 11-23-2017, 09:38 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I used flowmaster dbx. Similar result as Jake.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have three different layer of sound deadner from the firewall to the very back of the hatch. I should have dropped the tank and gotten the under side of that also. Believe me when I say my car is WELL insulated and the exhaust drone still penetrates like a bitch.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:54 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I believe you. Its basically twin organ pipes under there unless you do something to break that pipe up. That is why you need resonators. And why cats will help. Changes the frequency the pipe resonates.

Quick Reply: Need advice with new exhaust set-up