Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI Or Exhaust, Or NNBS Intake???? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 193 Likes on 134 Posts
Default CAI Or Exhaust, Or NNBS Intake???? Help!

Okay guys.. I've got a LQ9 with 799 heads, and small cam-Elgin E1839P (220/224 .575/.575) with TSP LT headers & 3" ORY pipe. I'm running the factory LS2 5.3L truck intake. This is in an '02 single cab 1/2 ton truck.

I'm not sure which way I want to go next and need your guidance. Eventually, like within the next year of so, I want to turbo the truck. For now though, I'm just throwing bolt-on's it and using it as a daily driver.

Which of the following would you guys vote on as my next change;
1. CAI I have already swapped to electric fans so I can run the '06+ CAI if that matters
2. True Duals & 3" in/out X pipe. Currently I have my 3"ORY leading into the factory 2.5" single pipe into a 3" IN/OUT Magnaflow muffler (straight through design with a turn down in front of rear axle. Yes, it's loud!)
3. I have an '08 intake manifold sitting on the shelf at my shop that I was debating on putting on. I've read that these manifolds KILL low end torque and that is the last thing I want.

So, please post and tell me which of the 3 you think would give me the largest increase in MID-RANGE HP/Torque. I'm not expecting much of an increase in HP/Torque but if I could gain 10 H/T with any of the upgrades, I'll do it. Or, if you think all 3 are necessary then please tell me the order in which you think I should do them starting with the greatest gain first, and descending from there. I'm sure once I go turbo I will be reworking my entire exhaust system. I DO NOT race the truck. I need to focus on low to mid range HP/T as I have my rev limiter set at 5500 RPM, and NEVER plan to run it faster than that. Vehicle will never see the track. I don't street/grudge race and never will. Just would like more HP on tap for those short bursts of speed I enjoy when getting on the freeway, or passing other cars. I have HP tuners and will tune for any/all changes as I make them. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

This article may be of interest. It's a dyno test of three truck intake manifolds: stock, TBSS & LSXRT. The TBSS and NBSS are basically the same intake.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...dyno-shootout/

Under 5200 rpm all three intakes look to be with in 5hp or 5 tq of each other in the dyno test. If doing an intake I would definitely raise that self imposed Rev limit of 5500 rpm to around 6500 rpm. Even the early LS motors are very bullet proof at 6,500 rpm with the weaker rod bolts.

The cold air set up would be my choice for your current set up. Cold air is always good.

Since you plan to rework the exhaust after going turbo, I would wait to do all of the exhaust until after the turbo set up is installed.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 05-12-2018 at 06:56 AM.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 193 Likes on 134 Posts

Is there really a way to make the CAI provide cold/cooler air? Because of my LT headers, the IAT will SKY ROCKET if I'm sitting in traffic idling. I can watch my IAT's hit 140 degrees in under 5 minutes of idle time. Is it common to wrap the CAI's with some type of heat shield, or heat repellent tape?

I plan on going to a cowl induction hood to give the exhaust heat a way to get out. Can anyone offer any other suggestions on how to get the under hood temps down, and also the IAT's down? I know that cooler air is free horsepower. I like free and I like horsepower.