Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of running some Cats

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 03:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thinking of running some Cats

Hi,

I'm currently running a long tube and true dual exhaust setup. I'm thinking of adding a pair of 200 cell Magnaflow cats right on the collectors of the headers. I spoke to my exhaust fitter about this and he said don't do it because I have a cammed motor and it will destroy the cats in days due to the overlap raw fuel going down the exhaust. Any truth in this?

Reading online seems to have a mixture of yes and no answers...

Cam is a Torquer V2

Cheers

Last edited by TheNutDriver; 05-25-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

I just finally swapped out a Random Tech cat that had about 90K on it, It was on a 4cyl jeep with a big lift cam the entire time...
It likely depends on just how much or little ignition your getting in the header/collector. Only reason I had to swap it is the exhaust system was off the car and fell off a workbench and broke the core
Old 05-26-2018, 01:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don’t think I have any ignition in the header collector, very little pops and bangs from the ls1 as it has been tuned well.

the only concern my exhaust fitter had was that as raw fuel goes down the exhaust during overlap it will superheat the core of the car and melt it.