Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CME tips on existing exhaust system?

Old 07-04-2018, 09:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CME tips on existing exhaust system?

Currently have a Texas Speed catback exhaust system with the built in cutout on my Camaro. Has quad tips that are 4 inches across, they're a little too big and sag a little too low to look very good on the rear end of my Z28 Camaro. Looking to buy a valance and the CME tips.

Question is, can I get CME tips and mate it up with my current catback? Not really looking to replace the whole catback, as I love the TSP system, the sound, and the built in cutout, just want to replace those tips.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoHope
Currently have a Texas Speed catback exhaust system with the built in cutout on my Camaro. Has quad tips that are 4 inches across, they're a little too big and sag a little too low to look very good on the rear end of my Z28 Camaro. Looking to buy a valance and the CME tips.

Question is, can I get CME tips and mate it up with my current catback? Not really looking to replace the whole catback, as I love the TSP system, the sound, and the built in cutout, just want to replace those tips.
Thats what I did, but with the Hooker Blackheart exhaust. I would suggest not welding the CME "Tip" where it meets the rest of the exhaust, in the middle on both sides. I used clamps on this part to allow it to be adjustable up and down, and also side to side. I dont know if that made any sense lol, lemme know if you want some pictures of something specific, although there are a few threads on this if you search.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JustinZ
Thats what I did, but with the Hooker Blackheart exhaust. I would suggest not welding the CME "Tip" where it meets the rest of the exhaust, in the middle on both sides. I used clamps on this part to allow it to be adjustable up and down, and also side to side. I dont know if that made any sense lol, lemme know if you want some pictures of something specific, although there are a few threads on this if you search.
If you have pictures that would be great! Buying the tips, and I see they have exhaust extender pieces to reach the rest of the catback it looks like. Hope it's not too difficult.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

I'd price it out both ways. Why cut up your TSP if you can come out ahead by selling it? You can get both of the intermediate pips for under $120 combined and instead of buying a new muffler, make me an offer on my Dynomax, Ultra Flo #17227. How much does a used TSP catback sell for? $300-$400? The intermediate pipe part numbers are 53061 and 54064. A muffler shop will supply and weld the connecting pipes to the muffler. Bring your own clamps and you are set.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

I thought I had better pics, but cant find any at the moment. I snapped these real quick but they aren't very good. Next time I have it jacked up, I'll have to take some real pics.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

And this would be the finished product.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys. I ended up pulling the trigger on a set of 6LE CME tips with the 90 bends included, all stainless steel, bought them used from a guy locally, but said he never installed them, and I believe him, they look brand new. Also bought his CME valance, but it's red, so it'll have to be repainted. I'm hoping it'll just take some clamps to fit the new CME tips and bends in there. For the CME valence is double sided tape the route most guys go?
Old 07-12-2018, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NoHope
Thanks guys. I ended up pulling the trigger on a set of 6LE CME tips with the 90 bends included, all stainless steel, bought them used from a guy locally, but said he never installed them, and I believe him, they look brand new. Also bought his CME valance, but it's red, so it'll have to be repainted. I'm hoping it'll just take some clamps to fit the new CME tips and bends in there. For the CME valence is double sided tape the route most guys go?
Good deal, always cool to see another CME car. I would go with some decent clamps, those U bolt clamps tend to leak. My CME valence from 6LE came with double sided tape, and its held up for over a year with no issues at all. If you can, have a friend help you install the valence, start from the center and work your way outwards. My valance is a little longer on the driver side, so it does have a tiny gap where it mounts in the wheel well, starting from dead center would have made it look a little better. And of course, post some pics when you finish!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CME tips on existing exhaust system?