Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Bank

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 09:57 AM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Dead Bank

Long story short, all my driver side injectors are dead. Shut em off 1 by 1 with HP tuners, nada. Unplugged all of em at once, nada. Unplug 1 passenger side, engine begins to die.

I would think each injector has its own pin at the PCM to tell it to fire, right? My though its the first thing i should check is continuity in the harness from PCM plug to each of the dead injector plugs. Thinking there is a slim chance the cause of my problem is 4 broken wires in the harness.

Is there something else, other than a shot PCM, that would cause this? A ground for that bank i could have missed during the swap? fuse popped?
Old 07-17-2018, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,237 Likes on 2,524 Posts

Unless you have done so, check EVERY ground in the system. It would surprise you how often that is the culprit.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Each of the injectors has it's own PCM controlled ground, however each bank shares a single ignition power feed. I would check your INJ1 or INJ2 fuse in the fuse block under the hood. Also check the two grounds that bolt to the back of the passenger side cylinder head to make sure they are secure.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Unless you have done so, check EVERY ground in the system. It would surprise you how often that is the culprit.
I have not done so yet, i will do that today.

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Each of the injectors has it's own PCM controlled ground, however each bank shares a single ignition power feed. I would check your INJ1 or INJ2 fuse in the fuse block under the hood. Also check the two grounds that bolt to the back of the passenger side cylinder head to make sure they are secure.
Ill check that as well. INJ1 is bank 1, INJ2 is bank 2 i assume?

Last edited by micbegz28; 07-17-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:14 PM
Launching!

Swung home on my lunch break and pull the Injector fuses, both good.

How can i go about testing for power at the fuse? Are injectors a keyed on power or does it need to be running ?
Old 07-17-2018, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by micbegz28
Swung home on my lunch break and pull the Injector fuses, both good.

How can i go about testing for power at the fuse? Are injectors a keyed on power or does it need to be running ?
The INJ1/2 fuses are fed ignition power and will show 12v when keyed on. Remove the fuses and check for power with the key on with a multimeter. (edited)Touch the probes to each of the tangs of the INJ fuses. If you don't get 12v then you have a problem.

If both INJ fuses are getting good power, then I suggest you check your grounds. Also, a quick test you can perform is to swap the coil packs from bank to bank and see if the problem follows. If it does, then you have an issue with the coil pack itself, likely the harness.

Last edited by ss.slp.ls1; 07-18-2018 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:24 PM
Launching!

The INJ1/2 fuses are fed ignition power and will show 12v when keyed on. Remove the fuses and check for power with the key on with a multimeter. With one probe connected to a ground, touch the other probe to one of the tangs for the INJ fuse. If you don't get power touch the other tang (I don't know which one is the feed side). If you don't get 12v when touching either side, then you have a problem.

If both INJ fuses are getting good power, then I suggest you check your grounds. Also, a quick test you can perform is to swap the coil packs from bank to bank and see if the problem follows. If it does, then you have an issue with the coil pack itself, likely the harness.
Does each injector bank have individual grounds? I know there is the ground on the back of the driver side head, but i dont recall one for pass side head.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 478 Likes on 368 Posts

The ECU switches the grounds to trigger, so for the injectors, only power matters, ground is ALL through the ECU.

Check for 12V at each injector, check of pinch points in the harness, if I recall the early 4.8 and 5.3 trucks had
a issue where the harness rubbed on a hose or bracket and would break wires..

SOME Systems get the 12V via a buss in the ECU and its possible to have the power fail on a subset of the connections,
(Not sure if any LS motors do this,,, ) But Its a problem on
my Jeep which uses a lot of GM and FORD parts for injection and ignition..

The bad thing depending on the ecu build model/year/age/phase of the moon, the ground trigger circuitry in the ECU can have 1/2/4/8 chips, if you have the 2 chip version and one chip dies you lose one bank, 4 chip loses 2 cylinders per dead chip, 8 loses 1 injector per chip.. Just depends on the trigger circuitry.. The upside is those chips are replaceable if your a good tech, or you can send the ecu for repair if its a rare one.. Again haven't dissected a LS ECU to that level but its common in everything else..
Old 07-18-2018, 07:30 AM
Launching!

How can i go about checking for power at the injector without a noid light? Pull the plug and crank it with an ohm meter on it? Or do the injectors see constant power with key on and PCM grounds it to complete circuit when it is time to fire?

1. Last night after double checking the fuses for INJ1 and INJ2, i verified that the fuse itself was getting power, and it was.
2. After that, i pulled the PCM and checked for continuity between PCM pin and injector connector pin, all 8 are good.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:32 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Are you sure its not the coils?
Old 07-18-2018, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

How can i go about checking for power at the injector without a noid light? Pull the plug and crank it with an ohm meter on it? Or do the injectors see constant power with key on and PCM grounds it to complete circuit when it is time to fire?

1. Last night after double checking the fuses for INJ1 and INJ2, i verified that the fuse itself was getting power, and it was.
2. After that, i pulled the PCM and checked for continuity between PCM pin and injector connector pin, all 8 are good.
Disconnect the injector connectors. With the key on, you should have 12v at each connector. Should be a simple test since you already checked for continuity between the injectors and the PCM. The other wire of the injector connector that is not connected to the PCM should read the ignition voltage.

Have you tried swapping coil packs from bank to bank to see if the problem follows? I would also test for ignition power at both coil packs.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:44 AM
Launching!

Disconnect the injector connectors. With the key on, you should have 12v at each connector. Should be a simple test since you already checked for continuity between the injectors and the PCM. The other wire of the injector connector that is not connected to the PCM should read the ignition voltage.

Have you tried swapping coil packs from bank to bank to see if the problem follows? I would also test for ignition power at both coil packs.
I should have 12v at both the "firing" wire from PCM and the pink wire on each injector?

I didnt swap coils, but spark was verified on the failing bank. Should i still swap?
Old 07-18-2018, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

I should have 12v at both the "firing" wire from PCM and the pink wire on each injector?

I didnt swap coils, but spark was verified on the failing bank. Should i still swap?
You should read 12v at the pink wire on each injector with the key on. The other wire from the PCM is only grounded by the PCM when that injector is commanded to pulse. If you are getting ignition power to all injectors and all coils on that bank then you either have a ground issue or a PCM issue.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:32 PM
Launching!

12v reading at each of the injectors
Old 07-19-2018, 12:58 PM
Launching!

noid light firing on all 8 injectors

Quick Reply: Dead Bank