Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Ground location

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 Ground location

i know from looking at the schematics that the 3 ground wires hook up to the back of the head. 2 together in one sport and 1 in another.
Can i place them all at the same spot. I have the intake and everything on and it's really hard to reach the other bolt hole so placing all 3 would make life a lot easier.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

I would think if the wires reach OK AND you make sure it's a GOOD connection there should be no problem.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

ground stacking can be a problem. it's best to spread them out.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:06 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

You cant have too many grounds. The more the merrier. If you only have one spot that isn't so good but if you can only easily mount to one location with the existing wire length that isnt bad but you need to add more around the chassis and engine. Run a jumper ground from the single location to the battery ground strap on the block. You want to be sure the entire perimeter of the engine and all gasketed parts that have a sensor also have their own ground strap. 99% of the time and electrical problem with an auto is ground related
Old 08-27-2018, 08:23 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
You cant have too many grounds. The more the merrier. If you only have one spot that isn't so good but if you can only easily mount to one location with the existing wire length that isnt bad but you need to add more around the chassis and engine. Run a jumper ground from the single location to the battery ground strap on the block. You want to be sure the entire perimeter of the engine and all gasketed parts that have a sensor also have their own ground strap. 99% of the time and electrical problem with an auto is ground related
This is great advice. I solved a **** ton of gremlins on one truck when I ran a 6gauge ground jumper from cab to engine to frame to battery.

Many times they rely on grounding through bolts at the factory, but take cylinder head bolts for example, grease them up for proper torqueing and they don't conduct as well. Multiply that all over the vehicle. I would jumper one cylinder head to the other to make sure they're atvsame potential.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:38 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Yeah I learned the ground gremlin game the hard way a looong time ago. In LS engines it can be bad because all the fasteners are coated as well. I have two good sized braided straps going from each side of the block one to the k member and one to the body. On the top side I have head to firewall, head to body, head to block where bat ground is. From my fuse box I have bat, block, and chassis all connected plus a bunch more anywhere I can fit one thats connecting a component and out of site theres grounds. At least three for my fuel pump too. All flux core soldered connectors and eyes and splices with dual wall heat shrink. It takes time to do this but my swaps run for years and years without hassle. Its worth it imo to get the wiring tight and right.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys.