Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to vent crank case with fab valve covers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default how to vent crank case with fab valve covers?

Hey guys,

I know this topic has been discussed before and yes I have used the search button but I can't seem to find any help on MY set up. It's a little different than most. I have a ls1 engine with an edelbrock victor jr intake. I bought the motor as a carb converted motor and was given an MSD efi system with the purchase of my motor. So my question is... how can I properly vent the crank case with this set up? my valve covers are fabricated with no holes except the oil fill hole. I'm new to the PCV/ catch can debate so go easy on me. The previous owner ran this motor for 1000 miles with this set up but I'm questioning if it is adequate. The motor was dynoed at 550 to the flywheel. So he had a breather in the valley cover and a port to hook up a hose in the back of the valley cover, not sure where he ran it. I'm not opposed to buying new valve covers with a port on it and go the catch can route. I'm too far into this build to cut corners so what advice can you share with me? Attached are some pics to see what I'm talking about. The front hole in the valley cover is where the breather was and the back "port," well I'm not sure what it was use for.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

This motor is running the same valve covers, You can see in the video that there is a bung welded on top side of both valve covers.
If needed I can take a picture but it will be a couple days. These are just vented to the air. You could run them to a catch can if you wanted.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

It looks like the previous owner had that PCV valve in the back of the lifter valley cover hooked up somewhere at the manifold and just had a breather at the front. If it were me, I would 86 that setup and get an unmodified valley cover, hook up a breather tank with some AN line to a welded bung or a bulkhead fitting at the cover and let it ride. That way it would be a clean install and keep oil mist out of the intake without coating the bottom of your hood.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe the ls6 valley cover with a k&n filter on the end.