Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed engineering vs American racing headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Speed engineering vs American racing headers

The debate continues in my head whether I should get speed engineering headers or American racing headers 1-7/8 tubes. I have kooks on there right now but have to change because of the #1 primary. It swings out too far and interferes with the steering shaft. This was mainly caused from switching to an aftermarket k member and manual steering rack, we cut up the shaft to make it work but it’s at a crazy angle and is a pain to steer.

Any power differences you guys think? I’ve thought about constructing a different shaft but don’t want to go to the trouble of making it work. Price and power diff is main concern
Old 11-22-2018, 08:25 PM
"I MAID THEESE"

Received 675 Likes on 425 Posts

Speed e ftw!!
Old 11-22-2018, 09:40 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

Maybe texas speed is a better option.

Ive seen 50 good stories from SE AND 50 bad stories. Every other stainless header setup uses seamless tubing and thicker wall and have less issue than them, this coming from personal and professional experience both.

Plus tsp has a black friday sale that we sre offering also on their exhaust.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
Maybe texas speed is a better option.

Ive seen 50 good stories from SE AND 50 bad stories. Every other stainless header setup uses seamless tubing and thicker wall and have less issue than them, this coming from personal and professional experience both.

Plus tsp has a black friday sale that we sre offering also on their exhaust.
The tsp headers have the same design as the kooks which is what I have. That #1 primary tube comes out too far for the steering shaft, Otgerwise I would easily consider those. Thanks for the info about the speed eng headers.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can’t speak to your specific question about the primary tube extending out too far and I can’t knock SE headers but I can say that I am completely impressed with my AR Headers quality and workmanship! They are not cheap but I feel I got a great pair of headers.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 30 Ounce
I can’t speak to your specific question about the primary tube extending out too far and I can’t knock SE headers but I can say that I am completely impressed with my AR Headers quality and workmanship! They are not cheap but I feel I got a great pair of headers.
Thanks, I’ve heard great things about them.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:48 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by nmass399

The tsp headers have the same design as the kooks which is what I have. That #1 primary tube comes out too far for the steering shaft, Otgerwise I would easily consider those. Thanks for the info about the speed eng headers.
Give me a measurement ill check em
Old 11-23-2018, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
Give me a measurement ill check em
I’ll have to measure sat, been working all day and now at a family dinner. Thanks!!
Old 11-25-2018, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

My speed engineering headers were a relatively easy install. Granted I did motor mounts at the same time but afternoon the new mounts went in my headers just slid right in place from underneath with only the starter removed and sitting on jackstands.