Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold air intake

I have a 2012 Silverado 5.3 and I am wondering does brand matter when it comes to cold air intake?
I am looking at upgrading mine because it is a cheap cold air intake with no cover. Are the closed ones better?
I am looking at
k&n
volant
Cold air inductions
Old 11-27-2018, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Just look at where the air comes from. If it all comes from outside the engine compartment you'll be OK. Then just make sure fit and finish are good.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Just look at where the air comes from. If it all comes from outside the engine compartment you'll be OK. Then just make sure fit and finish are good.
it is open so most of it comes from inside on the on the one that I have now but I am thinking about the cold air inductions
Old 11-28-2018, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

The systems come in 2 styles. The first mounts the filter in the front corner of the engine bay and gets air from an open side of the box. Some have pretty covers or shiny boxes, but they really aren't getting "cold" air. They have the ability to flow better by getting rid of the accordion couplers, but it's not going to be noticeable. The other style has a tube that runs through the inner fender or under the radiator to get air from outside the engine bay. That's where the "cold" air comes from since it's not sitting in a hot engine bay. This system is more effective, but costs more and is harder to install.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bammax
The systems come in 2 styles. The first mounts the filter in the front corner of the engine bay and gets air from an open side of the box. Some have pretty covers or shiny boxes, but they really aren't getting "cold" air. They have the ability to flow better by getting rid of the accordion couplers, but it's not going to be noticeable. The other style has a tube that runs through the inner fender or under the radiator to get air from outside the engine bay. That's where the "cold" air comes from since it's not sitting in a hot engine bay. This system is more effective, but costs more and is harder to install.
the only ones I am seeing are the ones with a top cover or without a top cover there is one style that has a cover and a scoop for below bumper
Old 11-28-2018, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Scoop below the bumper going into an enclosed box with the air filter inside is the cold air setup. The others are basically just for looks.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:34 AM
On The Tree

O ok do u know what brand one is the only brand i saw that has one like that is vortec. Or maybe s&b