Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock Sensor "Delete"?

Old 12-08-2018, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock Sensor "Delete"?

I'm in the wire harness "diet" process and I see the knock sensor connector. Simple to just pull the two wires to eliminate it.
BUT, can this "function" be "removed" from the PCM? I'm assuming that just unpinning the connector from the PCM connection won't be sufficient.

thanks...
Old 12-08-2018, 10:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes they can be deleted physically from the engine and deleted from the tune rather easy. Many people have done it, just be aware you will be losing a bit of a safety feature against detonation and preignition if your tune isn’t spot on. My preference is to keep the knock sensors and have them tuned to only pull timing on real verfifiedl knock. A good tuner with a dyno should be able to fix you up.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,348 Posts

You really want to keep the knock sensors. Without them a lot of damage can be done almost unknowingly.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by s30.hybrid
Yes they can be deleted physically from the engine and deleted from the tune rather easy. Many people have done it, just be aware you will be losing a bit of a safety feature against detonation and preignition if your tune isn’t spot on. My preference is to keep the knock sensors and have them tuned to only pull timing on real verfifiedl knock. A good tuner with a dyno should be able to fix you up.
I agree. It's a nice safety feature (especially with FI if that's the case) if you're going to retain the PCM anyway, but there are plenty of old carb'ed engines in the world doing fine without them.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I'm keeping them.
Brendan @LT1swap also convinced me to keep them. He is going to "tune" the PCM so they will be a little less sensitive.

Thanks...
Old 05-23-2019, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How can you change the tune to only pull timing with "Verified" known? Say in HPT, how will you know a knock event is real deal Knock versus false knock?

P.S. - Brand new to tuning so I'm dumb when it comes to this. But I need to figure it out because I'm gonna be tuning my Turbo LS Cutlass when it;s done.

Search this Thread