Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Misfire Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 193 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Weird Misfire Issue

I need some help/guidance on where to look next to fix my misfire on cylinder #6.

Here's the scenario; I can start the truck cold and it fires on all 8 cylinders. After driving for a while-typically 45+ minutes of drive time, the engine will begin intermittently misfiring on cylinder #6. If I keep driving it-say an hour or more, the misfire becomes more consistent. After 1.5 hours of driving that cylinder is DEAD... If I park the truck and let it sit over-night when I start it the next morning it is firing on all 8 cylinders again UNTIL I have driven it at least 45 minutes. Park it and let it cool off, or park it over-night, then the process starts over. I have confirmed with HP Tuners using the "misfire channels" that once #6 starts misfiring, and is dead, the misfire counter just continues to climb higher and higher while the engine is idling, and even under throttle.

What I have done so far: Changed the spark plug, the wire, the coil, the injector, replaced the PCM, and did a compression test while the engine was hot/misfiring. The compression test showed only 115PSI with the engine running & idling. I then checked #2-same compression. Then #3 on the other side of the motor-same compression. I assume my cam is bleeding off compression and that is why the #'s are so low. This truck has a calculated 11.1+ compression ratio. I can only run 93 in it without it pinging. It has been tuned for the 93 octane and runs really well except for the misfire on 6 after the engine gets hot.

The lifters were supposedly LS7 lifters I bought off E-bay in a plain white box. At this point, since I'm thinking I'm down to a lifter that is not pumping up after it gets hot, or a wiring issue between the PCM and either the coil, or the injector.. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should be checking next? I'm hoping someone has experienced something similar and can point me in the right direction so I'm wasting the least amount of time & $$ chasing this issue. I built the engine myself with flat top pistons, 799 heads, Fel Pro .040" head gaskets, Elgin 1839P cam, TSP LT headers, TSP Y-pipe cut into true duals with an X-pipe, then 3" Flowmasters in/out. Runs good when all 8 are firing. Really depresses me/dampens my spirits when it starts misfiring.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What color is the plug on #6 WHEN it stopped firing?
Old 01-27-2019, 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

It sounds like you have a wire problem, as in a coil pack or injector lead. If it was the wire, plug, coil etc., it would be a steady miss. A wire is breaking down when hot. Check the coil pack lead pinout for voltage, ohms, etc. Clean it with brake fluid and put dielectric grease on the connection. I do not think you should look for a mechanical problem before checking out the circuit. Check it especially when hot and missing., coil etc
Old 04-12-2019, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 193 Likes on 134 Posts

Just a follow up to put a cap on this. After tracing the IGNITION 6 wire between the PCM and coil pack connector-which tested good-I grabbed another complete set of coils from another core engine I have sitting here and bolted them on. That seems to have fixed the issue. It was a wiring problem-NOT THE COIL. The smaller coil wiring harness that stays attached to the coil bracket was the issue.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Kawabuggy
Just a follow up to put a cap on this. After tracing the IGNITION 6 wire between the PCM and coil pack connector-which tested good-I grabbed another complete set of coils from another core engine I have sitting here and bolted them on. That seems to have fixed the issue. It was a wiring problem-NOT THE COIL. The smaller coil wiring harness that stays attached to the coil bracket was the issue.
Yes, the pin connector there between the engine harness and the coil pack harness is usually a culprit. The coil harness itself causes more problems that the engine harness. Glad you found it and thanks for posting the results. Posting results helps others with future diagnostics.