Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pan Swap 99 Formula

Old 02-21-2019, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Oil Pan Swap 99 Formula

I am in need to swap out my oil pan in the not too distant future, and I am thinking I will try to do it while swapping the clutch. The question is however, what am I looking at for clearance to do the swap, would I need to life the engine as well to make room?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-21-2019, 01:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes. You'll need to drop the K-Member slightly, and jack the engine up slightly to get enough clearance to pull the oil pan. I've got an oil pan leak and NOT looking forward to doing the gasket swap. I THOUGHT it was the rear main cover and pulled the transmission this summer...I was wrong
Old 02-22-2019, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BandDirector Blk98ZM6
Yes. You'll need to drop the K-Member slightly, and jack the engine up slightly to get enough clearance to pull the oil pan. I've got an oil pan leak and NOT looking forward to doing the gasket swap. I THOUGHT it was the rear main cover and pulled the transmission this summer...I was wrong
Oh boy, not looking forward to that then... It is not super dire yet since it isn't leaking or anything but there is a bell housing hole that is stripped out. It does sound like something I should do while the trans is out so there is more room.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PMD Power
Oh boy, not looking forward to that then... It is not super dire yet since it isn't leaking or anything but there is a bell housing hole that is stripped out. It does sound like something I should do while the trans is out so there is more room.
If a bell bolt hole is stripped in the oil pan I wouldn't worry about it at all. Take a look at turbo 350/400 and powerglide bells and you'll see they don't bolt up there. So if guys running big power don't need them I doubt you will either.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to make sure, he said he'll be swapping out his clutch too. If the transmission/clutch/flywheel assembly is removed, there's still not enough clearance to just break the pan loose and slide it back? Sorry, still new to 4th gens. Had a 3rd gen previously and thought that was a pain in the a** to work on.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Jekyllandhyde
Just to make sure, he said he'll be swapping out his clutch too. If the transmission/clutch/flywheel assembly is removed, there's still not enough clearance to just break the pan loose and slide it back?
Now that's an interesting question...one that didn't even pop into my head when I had my tranny out thinking it was the rear main cover... I hope the OP posts back the results to this question after he tackles it...
Old 03-03-2019, 12:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 798 Likes on 608 Posts

I've used Blue Devil oil stop leak in my work van and it stopped a dripping leak. Might be worth a shot.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 214 Likes on 175 Posts

blue devil slowed leak of mine did not stop it.......turned out to be oil pan gasket

Search this Thread