Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Massive GMMG drone problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Might have to do with the different cams used in 98-00 and 01 and 02.

Yeah, 2001,2002 have different manifolds, cat converters, and intake manifold. Might be something to do with any one of those. I'll see how it goes when I get the custom I-pipe and put it back on.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 99TransAmDude
I'll definitely update to say how it goes. Gary is a great guy. He makes a really nice quality system. I'm still confused though why my 2001 is so different than my 2000 and 1999 with this cat-back. Oh well, we'll see how it goes.
Not sure man. Im sure the muffler I-pipe will work well for you. Post some pictures of it too! I still might try one. I love My setup I got from him. I’d have a hard time parting with it to be quite honest. Little raspy but sounds mean as hell!
Old 04-03-2019, 11:02 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

2000-2002 manifolds and converters are the same, except for the right manifold EGR provision in 2000. I can't see that, the LS6 intake, or the slightly different cam having any noticeable effect. Your symptom is very strange.

My 2000 with GMMG had zero drone at highway speeds with stock manifolds and converters. LT's and ORY was a different story
Old 04-08-2019, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RevGTO
2000-2002 manifolds and converters are the same, except for the right manifold EGR provision in 2000. I can't see that, the LS6 intake, or the slightly different cam having any noticeable effect. Your symptom is very strange.

My 2000 with GMMG had zero drone at highway speeds with stock manifolds and converters. LT's and ORY was a different story

Yeah, I had a GMMG on my 2000 Trans Am as well. I had it with stock manifolds and cats, then I swapped it out for Edelbrock shorty headers and high flow cats and had zero drone issues. My 99 is the same boat, no problems. That's why I'm so confused on this car since it's 100% stock.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Gary sent me a new I-Pipe with mini muffler built in. Looks just like the normal GMMG with the pushed in sections. It also has a small baffle inside as well. I'm going to install it tomorrow night.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Gary sent me a new I-Pipe with mini muffler built in. Looks just like the normal GMMG with the pushed in sections. It also has a small baffle inside as well. I'm going to install it tomorrow night.
Post up a few pics of that thing if you can!!
Old 04-11-2019, 05:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99Silver6.0
Post up a few pics of that thing if you can!!
What do people use to post pictures on forums now a days? I haven't used Photobucket in like 5 years and looks like they want you to pay now.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

The new i-pipe with mini chambered gmmg muffler worked out. The car is just as loud but it got rid of the intense drone at 2200rpm. It's still slightly there but I'd say 85% gone. It's definitely liveable. It actually gave the exhaust more of a rumble too. When I accelerate really slowly (maybe 1/4 throttle) it has a super deep rumble. I really like the tone. It wasn't like that before the modified i-pipe. This weekend I'll try and make a YouTube video if the weather cooperates.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 548 Likes on 428 Posts

The new i-pipe with mini chambered gmmg muffler worked out. The car is just as loud but it got rid of the intense drone at 2200rpm. It's still slightly there but I'd say 85% gone. It's definitely liveable. It actually gave the exhaust more of a rumble too. When I accelerate really slowly (maybe 1/4 throttle) it has a super deep rumble. I really like the tone. It wasn't like that before the modified i-pipe. This weekend I'll try and make a YouTube video if the weather cooperates.

So you added a helmholtz to it?
Old 04-15-2019, 10:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

No he had a chambered stick muffler added to the single I pipe
Old 04-16-2019, 01:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Did the ID of that pipe look decent? Didnt choke down really small did it? They way the he constructed the pipe made it sound like it would have an ID of like 2.4".

"Yes, I take a 2.375" SS louver and wrap it in SS wool, which then goes into a 3" tube. Size and crimp."

Just seemed a bit on the small side. This is a picture I found on Tech a few months ago.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99Silver6.0
Did the ID of that pipe look decent? Didnt choke down really small did it? They way the he constructed the pipe made it sound like it would have an ID of like 2.4".

"Yes, I take a 2.375" SS louver and wrap it in SS wool, which then goes into a 3" tube. Size and crimp."

Just seemed a bit on the small side. This is a picture I found on Tech a few months ago.

I do have a picture, just not sure how to add it to here since photobucket doesn't seem to be free anymore. It does choke down a bit. I'd guess maybe 2.6" ID where the baffling is. Not crazy about that part but it does sound pretty cool with it. If I lost 5-10hp, I really don't care. At least my ears wont bleed. lol. I already ordered up a medium powerstick. I might get it made into an I-pipe and try it out to see what the difference is. The only thing I don't like about the powerstick is it's not stainless and I daily drive this TA, even through the winter.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:44 AM
Staging Lane

Default Update 2

I bought a medium powerstick and had an exhaust shop build it into another I-pipe. I pulled the gmmg custom i-pipe with mini muffler and installed the powerstick one....what an amazing difference. The gmmg one still put out more of a constant tone around 2300rpm with a little drone. The powerstick mated to the gmmg catback gives a nice rumbly sound. It reminds me of an old school muscle car. Around 2300 rpm there is zero drone and it does not put out the annoying constant tone. It's a super deep rumble that I can actually feel in my seat. I absolutely love it. The setup is pretty quiet at a constant speed on the highway but if I give it just a hair more gas, you can hear it come to life. WOT is music to my ears. I'm finally done. Gmmg muffler setup and a medium powerstick...the perfect combo on a stock 2001 WS6.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

got a part number by chance on the Powerstick?
Old 01-28-2021, 08:16 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put a GMMG on my '01 SS with 14k miles on it that is bone stock and the Drone is Terrible. Really wish i could see what you put on yours so I could do the same to mine. What was the part number or size to the medium power stick that you put on?

Quick Reply: Massive GMMG drone problem