Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

knock sensor moister?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 06:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default knock sensor moister?

I had 1 bad knock sensor and decided to change both, ended up with a nightmare.
Bought A/C Delco 213-3521 from ebay for a deal or I thought it was. Anyways it was faulty, sensors didn't have any numbers identifying the sensors but the packaging had GM hologram made from Germany?. Driven the car for less than an hour and threw both codes p0332 and P0327 before it was just only p0332.
When I tried to pull the sensors out, I got bank 1 out easily. but bank 2 was the issue.
I sealed the cover with RTV and noticed once open it had moisture. Not sure how moisture is in there... I tried to remove the sensor but wont budge the sensor broke and the head left the tread in the block.It basically seized; after a few days? Pops had to drill it out and use ez out. I didn't know what to do...Heading to the dealer this week to buy 2 news ones.

Would like to know why could there would be moisture inside the valley even though the valley is RTVed. Is that what caused the sensor to seize, the original failed sensor was covered in white stuff and it was wet and took it out easily. I checked the intake and seals looked good but decided that I will change the gaskets as well when I bolt it back up.
Attached is the original failed sensors before the faulty new a/c delcos i bought from ebay and hope the new ones I do buy from the dealer will not end up like the original ones. What can I do to prevent this from happening?
Thanks,
Lou

Old 06-26-2019, 01:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 254 Likes on 209 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

do you live in a humid climate ? are you power washing your engine everyday ?

you could clear coat the sensors to keep corrosion at bay......and by using silicone are you trapping moisture in ?
Old 06-26-2019, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

The manual says, or maybe it was a TSB, about putting a little dam of silicone around the front of the sensors, but not all the way around. Some engines/cars have a tendency to have water get under the intake manifold. Driving in rain maybe, but dont ever powerwash the engine.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not washed the car,nor use a power wash. I live in the Oakland,Ca. I installed the motor in a 69 camaro. Only ran it 2 days after I installed the faulty eBay junk sensors, and used rtv around the boot. That is why I wondered and wanted to ask why there could be moisture on the other side of the boot when I pried the boot open to take the sensors out.

attached is the boot that I rtv around the valley

Rtv this not the sensor, so if I trap and seal this it was cause moisture?

Last edited by flipsta510fazn; 06-26-2019 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Pic added
Old 06-26-2019, 11:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 254 Likes on 209 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

the TSB says to build a dam of silicone ...around ....the boot.........not seal the boot with silicone

moisture corrosion causes the connector to corrode too