Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

standalone wiring harness questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default standalone wiring harness questions

so coming from just buying speartech stuff (which is the BEST) i am doing a 5.3 for a friend and going to redo the harness for stand alone. what exactly is needed to do this? am i just pulling the crap not needed out of the mass connector to the PCM? if so what am i pulling? i need MAF, MAP, TP, IAC, spark, fuel, oil press, oil temp, ECT, o2s, hot and ground correct? and then little tid bits like fan control and so forth correct?
Old 07-05-2019, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Plenty of good You Tube videos for this that can explain things far better than we can write about it. You also need to cruise over to:

http://www.lt1swap.com/

Lots of good explanations there about pin outs for the different vehicles and PCM requirements over the years.

Bottom line - you only need four wires hooked up to get your engine started. Sure, all the connectors on the engine ends of the wires need to be connected but that's easy because they are all clocked and connector-shaped such that the ends will only fit in one location. However, people do commonly get power to the spark plug coil packs reversed.

1 - power to your fuel pump. Needs power in run position and while cranking.

2 - power to the starter and starter solenoid.

3 - power to the full time "keep alive" wire port on your PCM. Needs power in the key off, run position and while cranking. Keeping the PCM powered on this port all the time retains "learned" parameters in your engine and transmission for easier starting and drive-ability.

4 - power to the boot up and operation wire port on your PCM. Needs power in the key run and cranking positions.

Everything else is well described at LT1Swap.com.

Rick