Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 catch can questions that I cant find answers for

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2 catch can questions that I cant find answers for

All,

I have spent days looking for the right answers for this, sorry if its too basic.

Install is on a 2005 HUmmer H2. LQ4

I have no way to mount the catch can lower than the valve cover ports as I have read needs to be done. Is this a major issue? If the can is higher, won't the oil in the incoming line just run back into the valve cover?

The truck engines have a port on the drivers side that runs directly into the top on the intake. The passenger side has a port that runs into the throttle body. Each pulls vacuum.

I ran the line from the drivers side over to the passenger side and t'eed them together and then ran into the incoming side of the catch can. The out side I ran into the throttle body. I then blocked off the port on top of the manifold. This is a sealed system, no breather. Is this going to work?

Thank you!

Tim
Old 03-17-2020, 06:03 PM
Teching In

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Drivers side should have the Pcv valve on it. It would get plumbed to the catch can, then to the manifold port after the tb. The passenger side should be plumbed to the intake tube or the throttle body fitting if you have it. I believe there's a pretty informative thread in the sticky section on different combinations of catch can Pcv routing.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,381 Posts

Originally Posted by timharber
All,

I have spent days looking for the right answers for this, sorry if its too basic.

Install is on a 2005 HUmmer H2. LQ4

I have no way to mount the catch can lower than the valve cover ports as I have read needs to be done. Is this a major issue? If the can is higher, won't the oil in the incoming line just run back into the valve cover?

The truck engines have a port on the drivers side that runs directly into the top on the intake. The passenger side has a port that runs into the throttle body. Each pulls vacuum.

I ran the line from the drivers side over to the passenger side and t'eed them together and then ran into the incoming side of the catch can. The out side I ran into the throttle body. I then blocked off the port on top of the manifold. This is a sealed system, no breather. Is this going to work?

Thank you!

Tim
No that is not the way it should be connected. Driver side should go through the can and into the intake manifold. Passenger side can be connected straight to the throttle body but if you have a way to run dual cans then run through the second can and then to the throttle body.

I assume your talking about sealed catch cans and not cans with breathers on them.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If the oil runs back into the engine, that's a good thing. I designed my own to work this way - stop oil from passing to the intake, let it run back into the engine, never have to drain anything.

Quick Reply: 2 catch can questions that I cant find answers for