Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Woes

So recently I tried out the Summit Racing exhaust for my Firebird (SUM-680025). Its not bad, but I did notice that I seem to have a bit of an issue with clearance over the rear axle. I have the watts link from Fays2 and there is no compromise with the clearance. If I push the exhaust up to clear the link, the top of the u-bend is >1/4" off the channel wall and the same for the link. My current solution was to "aggressively negotiate" the pipe with a hammer into a weird bumpy oval around the link. Its not a great fix but it works... kinda. If I floor it, it's very evident that the pipe is either rattling on the link or the body. Has anyone else had this issue with clearance? I've been dealing with this for a several months now moving the pipe up or down with no permanent solution. I have only succeeded in taking a chunk off the powdercoating of my watts link or "polishing" the inside of the exhaust channel.

Last edited by Forsakenwolf; 07-07-2020 at 10:04 PM. Reason: added pix
Old 07-08-2020, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Could you just wrap that section with exhaust wrap to stop the rattling?
Just a thought
Old 07-08-2020, 03:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well with the amount of damage that was done with this setup, I'm going to replace it with a different system. I'll try wrapping the new one, wouldn't hurt. Any recommendations for a greatly freedom restricted Commiefornian like myself? Are the shorties by Kooks decent? From what I understand from other threads Longtubes>Shorties>OEM and True Duals>4">3">OEM.

My California legal option would probably look like Hooker 70301308-RHKR Blackheart Shorty Style Headers with Hooker 16811HKR

Quick Reply: Exhaust Woes