Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What's gonna be quieter and least raspy
Y pipe into single muffler and tailpipe
71.43%
True Dual
28.57%
Dual muffler into y pipe and tailpipe
0%
something else
0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Duals vs Duals into y vs single

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2023, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Duals vs Duals into y vs single

can't find any answer to my question so thought I'd ask here

my motor should be around 450whp. it's almost done and I'm working on building the exhaust

​​​​​​I've got 1 3/4 headers, 3" high flow cats, and an X pipe.
I'm runing 3" duals definitely halfway down the car. Then I'll either run a 3" to 3.5/4" y pipe into a single 4" muffler, dual 3" mufflers into dual tips, or dual 3" muffler into 3.5"/4" y to tailpipe

Does anyone have experience with these sorta different setups? I know all of them should have no problem with supporting the hp I'm making. Just wondering what's gonna be quieter, less raspy?

Thanks
Old 04-19-2023, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I run a true straight pipe, no cats and no mufflers, with 3" y pipe to a 3" single single out the back. It is very loud, but I like it.
From my limited experience a single exhaust with the right muffler will make the car more manageable and less raspy with more "throatiness". Since you have cats it already wont be as loud.
I personally do not think you need any larger than a 3.5" single exhaust. My mild 6.0 (380-400whp) pulls cleanly to 6800 with the single 3",
Old 04-20-2023, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wlink14
I run a true straight pipe, no cats and no mufflers, with 3" y pipe to a 3" single single out the back. It is very loud, but I like it.
From my limited experience a single exhaust with the right muffler will make the car more manageable and less raspy with more "throatiness". Since you have cats it already wont be as loud.
I personally do not think you need any larger than a 3.5" single exhaust. My mild 6.0 (380-400whp) pulls cleanly to 6800 with the single 3",
I'll probably just do an axle dump and figure out what i like. 3" dual muffler, then throw a y pipe and decide based on that. I bought the truck straight-piped but it was way too loud. Didn't make the family happy leaving early in the morning so I threw on an areo turbine 3030xl. It seems most people are saying to go with a single muffler.

What's done to the 6L you got?
Old 04-20-2023, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 337 Likes on 247 Posts

On my 98 Wrangler LS6 swap so around 425 HP? I'm running 2.5" from the left to the right side header into a 2.5" to 3" merge and then 3" all the way to the rear bumper. Largest Dyno Max turbo muffler I could fit. Good sound as I hit the road. Zero drone at speed.
Old 04-21-2023, 01:48 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Rasp (at least as I define it, meaning the Kazoo on crack sound) will not be an issue if you plan to use cats, regardless of the rest of the exhaust. But any Y-pipe arrangement will always be more prone to rasp than true duals.

I don't personally like how cats tend to mellow and smooth the exhaust note so my preference would be to delete them and stick with true duals (which will not rasp if you use mufflers that offer at least "mid-grade" sound reduction). I'm not a fan of the X-pipe arrangement as it also tends to smooth (and raise the pitch of) the exhaust note - but you might prefer this if mellow/quiet is the goal. I don't really see the benefit of doing an X-pipe and then a Y-pipe afterwards though; if you're going to do the X then I would just keep it as true dual from there...just add hi-flow mufflers to suit your (volume, sound) taste.
The following users liked this post:
jmilz28 (10-08-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
if you're going to do the X then I would just keep it as true dual from there...just add hi-flow mufflers to suit your (volume, sound) taste.
That's what I'll probably do. I got the 3030xl on the truck, I bought a second one, we'll see how it goes
Old 04-28-2023, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

I did the speed engineering dumped duals and cut back the pipe going into the bullet mufflers. Put an offset inlet center out borla 4x9 on both ends and it is pretty mild. I think this is a good balance of weight, cost and sound. Doesn't drone on the freeway.

Quick Reply: Duals vs Duals into y vs single