Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most streetable full exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 06:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 171 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by cascadesys
I’m in TX where emissions are just a computer scan and not a visual so a tune takes care of that, and in a couple years my 01 will hit 25+ status and be exempt anyways.

How does a full Hooker long tube plus H pipe setup like the one you suggested compare to something like an American Racing LT, Y pipe, going to a Magnaflow/Borla/Corsa exhaust given the weekend warrior use case of the car?
No sniffer in your neck of the woods? Some counties in TX require it. In 2025 they’re doing away with the safety inspection so areas that require the emissions sniffer will still do that but no safety inspection. I’m not sure what is going to happen in areas that currently only require the safety test and no emissions. I’m a little worried that they’ll start doing emissions in those areas.

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 02-28-2024 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-28-2024, 06:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 171 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
Im getting ready to take the Kooks true dual exhaust off my car. The exhaust has no cats and it will be for sale. If you are interested shoot me a pm please.
Not digging it?
Old 02-28-2024, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
Im getting ready to take the Kooks true dual exhaust off my car. The exhaust has no cats and it will be for sale. If you are interested shoot me a pm please.
PM sent.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:29 AM
8 Second Club

Received 704 Likes on 519 Posts

I never understood why people paid so much for cheap shiny pipe no one ever sees that will look like crap after 50 miles or so. Best option IMO is to run the factory exhaust system without the converter. Then put an electric dump (or 2) on it. This way you can open the dumps an let the car breath when racing, and then close them for OEM noise levels. Maybe consider running long tube headers if you want a performance bump instead. It will flow better than any after market exh kit and cost much less. You can also open the dumps slightly to tune how loud you want the exhaust.
The following users liked this post:
Y2K_Frenzy (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

In your shoes, based on what you are after, I would do the Hooker long tubes and Blackheart system and add cats if your installer can find room. Duals WILL free up more hp and tq when you tune for it. Alternatively, if you can find an SLP D/D as suggested above, that is a great flowing system (for a Y) that is quiet. You can always add a cutout if you want more noise. Get the Kooks or ARH LT with catted Y, you'll be surprised how docile it is. Here is my current setup, but it's rowdier so I had to do extra to get 3" duals in there while still trying to keep it sane. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post20532165
Old 02-28-2024, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Here is a stock LS1 with ARH LTs, cats, and dual dual.
99Silver6.0 (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Same exhaust on a cammed LS3.
Old 02-28-2024, 02:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,558 Likes on 1,120 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
I never understood why people paid so much for cheap shiny pipe no one ever sees that will look like crap after 50 miles or so.
20 years ago I installed a Bassani 304 polished stainless system on my '98 (granted, these type of systems were much cheaper back then). This is a show car that hasn't seen a drop of rain in all those years, and I detail several areas of the undercarriage annually (including a polish & sealant on the muffler and tail pipes). Two decades and ~7k miles later it still looks like new, shines brilliantly. Probably not worth it for a daily driver, especially if no one is going to be maintaining its finish, but that was never my intention when I bought this car.

Best option IMO is to run the factory exhaust system without the converter. Then put an electric dump (or 2) on it. This way you can open the dumps an let the car breath when racing, and then close them for OEM noise levels.
This is a great suggestion for someone who wants OEM sound levels for cruising, but the availability of free flow when maximum acceleration is desired. However the problem is that you only have two sound options like this - OEM quiet or SUPER loud. Many of us prefer something inbetween, thus the popularity of the various aftermarket mufflers. I wasn't happy cruising around with the OEM system, much too quiet, but an open cutout isn't exactly what I wanted to hear either.
Old 02-28-2024, 03:16 PM
8 Second Club

Received 704 Likes on 519 Posts

Theres always an acceptation to the rule… For most, exhaust gets nasty pretty quick.

Also you have more options than loud or quiet if you run the standard electric cutout. You can open it say 2%-5%... or 10% to 20% etc… Doesn’t have to be 100% open/closed. I like BadlanzHPE cutouts. Great customer service and quality at reasonable prices.

I will say I run E85 so exhaust and cabin smell isn’t an issue. Pump gas plain stinks if you dump it under the cabin. Can always route the dumped exhaust out from under the cab though.
Y2K_Frenzy (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 04:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Theres always an acceptation to the rule… For most, exhaust gets nasty pretty quick.

Also you have more options than loud or quiet if you run the standard electric cutout. You can open it say 2%-5%... or 10% to 20% etc… Doesn’t have to be 100% open/closed. I like BadlanzHPE cutouts. Great customer service and quality at reasonable prices.

I will say I run E85 so exhaust and cabin smell isn’t an issue. Pump gas plain stinks if you dump it under the cabin. Can always route the dumped exhaust out from under the cab though.
Personally, I don't mind the smell at all as I'm used to old dinosaur cars with catless systems (granted I've always dumped it near the axle or tires, or further), but wouldn't a slightly opened cutout on an otherwise OEM, rear-exit system just sound like an exhaust leak under the car? Not really what I would want either, but that might be a good compromise for some.

But to your point, there isn't really a need for an expensive complete system if you do cutouts near the headers for when maximum performance is desired. At that point, larger diameter I-pipes, mandrel bends, etc. don't really matter. Then you could just swap out only the muffler if you want a little better sound while cruising around without full-force cutouts or partial opening, etc. But I agree that most folks won't benefit from the "flashy" look of polished stainless like my application...most cars just aren't used that way.
Old 02-28-2024, 04:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 541 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
Not digging it?
im go say the kooks true dual X pipe is the loudest exhaust period. The mufflers is bullet type for sure and it not for everybody. I let my brother drive the car and at wide open throttle i can hear my car screaming threw the trees. I also will have a Nick Willams 92mm throttle body up for sale as well. Im going 102mm.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the tsp true duals with lts and ive had no issues with the headers but the duals hang low and scrape and most likely if you opt for a duals setup that has 3inch pipes you will need a different panhard bar to fit but you can just bend the oem one i like my exhaust cause it doesnt sound kazoo like its nice and throaty but the drone at 1800 rpm is unbearable almost but thats from the headers my .02"
Old 02-28-2024, 11:14 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Here is a stock LS1 with ARH LTs, cats, and dual dual. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz5H4d61hv8
This sounds great, I can buy the American Racing headers with a catted Y but finding the dual dual will prove challenging. The video clip confirmed the theory that the dual dual is the ideal system for what I'm looking for.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:22 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

This sounds great, I can buy the American Racing headers with a catted Y but finding the dual dual will prove challenging. The video clip confirmed the theory that the dual dual is the ideal system for what I'm looking for.

Dual/dual has long been the best option for folks who want premium flow with very little volume increase over stock. This system can even handle a cat delete/ORY without getting raspy. It's a great option to accomplish what you want (near OEM quiet, but better flow). Only problem is getting one; used is the only option.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Forgot I had this video. My little "helper" did the best he could. When I was trying to find a dual/dual all I could find was rusted/hacked up **** people wanted a ton of money for. I gave up and went with the Maggie. Its not near as quiet as you think. Hell of a lot deeper tone than the Corsa that came off the car with none of the rasp. No drone and its nice and quiet when cruising.

Last edited by 99Silver6.0; 03-01-2024 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-29-2024, 02:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 99Silver6.0
...I gave up and went with the Maggie. Its not near as quiet as you think.
I agree.

Lots of folks think the Magnaflow catback is quiet, but it's much louder than dual/dual. I wouldn't even call them comparable. With that said, Magnaflow used to sell a muffler-only replacement for the 3/4th gen exhaust configuration that was nearly as quiet as dual/dual, but that's not the same muffler they use in their dedicated catback system today (which didn't even exist back then). Not sure if that muffler is still in production, it was nearly 25 years ago when I last bought one.
99Silver6.0 (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 133 Likes on 100 Posts

I’m in TX where emissions are just a computer scan and not a visual
TX is a visual they just don't do it.

@Y2K_Frenzy They aren't going to start just because the end of safety inspections. The counties aren't losing any money with that going away so they don't care.
The sniffer used to be a thing in TX but has not been for a while now. It was also not for every county, not sure which ones it was for in the first place. Not Tarrant.
Old 02-29-2024, 03:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,311 Posts

I really like the KOOK'S true dual offroad exhaust with aftermarket CME.

Old 03-01-2024, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

The dual dual is definitely what you want. I recently installed one on my newly acquired stock 02 and can tell you it is very quiet yet refined and classy. I’m about to put my heads/cam L76 in the car and want to keep it quiet. Will probably have to add cats and a resonator. At 45 I now want peace and relaxation, a gentleman’s cruiser and no fumes (imagine that) while enjoying my new $4k system.

Search eBay and your local marketplace, offer up, and LS Facebook groups. I found mine through my local club and has been through quite a few hands over the years. It cleaned up really well with aluminum brightener from Napa and a scrub brush. I hope you find what you’re looking for, don’t give up.

The following 2 users liked this post by gjohnsonws6:
99Silver6.0 (03-01-2024), Y2K_Frenzy (03-01-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 03:16 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by gjohnsonws6
I found mine through my local club and has been through quite a few hands over the years. It cleaned up really well with aluminum brightener from Napa and a scrub brush. I hope you find what you’re looking for, don’t give up.
Nice job cleaning that up! I bought one of these systems brand new from SLP in the early 2000s, and it didn't look any better than what you have pictured above when it came out of the box. Please tell us more about the "aluminum brightener" - is that the exact name of the product? Was it NAPA house brand? Looks like good stuff. It would be a whole lot of work to clean it up like that with standard metal polish.

Originally Posted by gjohnsonws6
Will probably have to add cats and a resonator. At 45 I now want peace and relaxation, a gentleman’s cruiser and no fumes (imagine that) while enjoying my new $4k system.
I'm in the same 45+ age group, but I couldn't imagine adding cats AND a resonator to a system that quiet, unless maybe it was a daily driver. I still like my toys to have a bit more noise, and some exhaust aroma. In fact, as I continue to age and my hearing begins to deteriorate, I'll probably want more volume rather than less.
Y2K_Frenzy (03-01-2024)

Quick Reply: Most streetable full exhaust?