Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Mile Per Hour after LT install

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 03:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,622 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Some great explanations regarding "looseness" above.

I will again echo the sentiment that a *quality* converter in the 3400-3600 range won't feel uncomfortable, unstreetable, nor unpleasant to drive at part throttle with a 3.23-3.42 geared LS1/4L60E combo F-body. Honestly, that is how they should have come stock. My guess is, you will be shocked by how quickly it feels "normal" for around town driving, and you won't be able to wipe the smile off your face every time you go WOT!
The following 3 users liked this post by RPM WS6:
BFK86 (04-19-2024), CrimsonT/A (04-18-2024), Y2K_Frenzy (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BFK86
With torque converters the more load you put on it the higher it will flash or "slip/lag" if thats how you want to describe it. Load is affected by anything from weight of the vehicle, gearing, how much power the engine makes, the more throttle you give it..hell even driving up an incline will make the converter act looser. Most quality converters will be more efficient and feel tighter during normal light throttle driving, until you mat the throttle. This is why I said you'll want more stall..especially if someone did swap the rear end for 3.42. There's plenty of driving videos on youtube if you want to see how certain converters act in an fbody. Here's a good video showing how a yank PT4000 drives during normal driving and WOT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3aXFIf7jIs
That's great, thank you BFK. You're right that 4000 stall doesn't appear to drive bad at all in the city.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Some great explanations regarding "looseness" above.

I will again echo the sentiment that a *quality* converter in the 3400-3600 range won't feel uncomfortable, unstreetable, nor unpleasant to drive at part throttle with a 3.23-3.42 geared LS1/4L60E combo F-body. Honestly, that is how they should have come stock. My guess is, you will be shocked by how quickly it feels "normal" for around town driving, and you won't be able to wipe the smile off your face every time you go WOT!
I'm looking forward to it. I'll give Yank a call tomorrow and see which converter they recommend. Speaking of I spoke with the local performance shop today and they did not recommend circle D as they've seen several issues over the last couple of years... Has anyone here heard or experienced the same thing?
The following users liked this post:
Y2K_Frenzy (04-18-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 05:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CrimsonT/A
I'm looking forward to it. I'll give Yank a call tomorrow and see which converter they recommend. Speaking of I spoke with the local performance shop today and they did not recommend circle D as they've seen several issues over the last couple of years... Has anyone here heard or experienced the same thing?
Haven't heard that before, but you know how it goes, a few people complain about something and word gets out and all of sudden their product is "junk". I don't have any experience with Circle D, they are just a well known brand that I threw out there. I'd say with modern overdrive GM transmissions, FTI and Yank seem to be the "go to" or at least that's what I see a lot of guys on here using. I've had 2 yank converters in my car, started with the SS3600 when it was a cam only car, was a little too tight for my liking and didn't 60 foot as good as I wanted it to, so when I put a build trans in I changed convertrers to a yank PT4000 and I'm really happy with it.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Update:After one of the other posters had mentioned if my tune had included transmission programming, torque management removal, etc. that got me thinking… I called the shop to see if that had been done, and they said no.
That being said, I’ve found a different performance shop that has more experience with LS cars and they are going to perform the transmission tune this weekend.I will let you know what differences,(if any), it makes.
From the research I’ve done removing torque management, quickening shifts, etc. can make a drastic difference in the performance of the car. It will likely hurt the transmission in the long run, but if it does, I’ll have it rebuilt.
Y2K_Frenzy (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Update:After one of the other posters had mentioned if my tune had included transmission programming, torque management removal, etc. that got me thinking… I called the shop to see if that had been done, and they said no.
That being said, I’ve found a different performance shop that has more experience with LS cars and they are going to perform the transmission tune this weekend.I will let you know what differences,(if any), it makes.
From the research I’ve done removing torque management, quickening shifts, etc. can make a drastic difference in the performance of the car. It will likely hurt the transmission in the long run, but if it does, I’ll have it rebuilt.
No first hand experience but when I was looking into it I think the general consensus is to not eliminate torque management all together but to reduce it a lot or “some.” I bet the tuner dude knows what’s up though. Good luck. I wish there was a way to make traction control less intrusive. I know there’s on and off, but I’d like something in between. I’ve darn near bogged crossing an intersection one time when it came on.
CrimsonT/A (04-22-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 09:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
No first hand experience but when I was looking into it I think the general consensus is to not eliminate torque management all together but to reduce it a lot or “some.” I bet the tuner dude knows what’s up though. Good luck. I wish there was a way to make traction control less intrusive. I know there’s on and off, but I’d like something in between. I’ve darn near bogged crossing an intersection one time when it came on.
I'll let you know what the results look like. Fortunately for me my car didn't come with traction control
Y2K_Frenzy (04-23-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

Happy Friday everyone!

I'm happy to announce that the transmission tuning made a BIG difference. It's amazing how held back it really was. The one - two shift is incredible, it's never aggressively lunged forward like that before, it puts a smile on your face while you say Woo! (insert Rick Flair meme here lol).
I've been trying to find a safe space to take it out to see what the real performance gain is but unfortunately every time I've gone out senor po-po is everywhere I go. Another interesting thing I learned was that my tach is off, I thought it was shifting around 6100 - 6200 RPM and in fact it was shifting at around 5700. So that brings into question about my gearing as well if the tach isn't accurate.
According to the tuner that's not an uncommon thing with these cars. Anyone have any other thoughts on that?
The only point of reference i have for zero to 60 times is what the tuner showed me: At 84°, (before he turned the car) it ran a 5.5 second 60, (my best at about 65 -70° was 5.1). After tuning it at the same temperature he was able to hit a 5.1.
I'll let you know when I've found the opportunity to officially test it out, I'm hoping that may give me a tenth or two in the quarter but overall very happy with the transmission tune and with 100% recommend. For anyone in Southwest Florida, I had Ryan with REA Automotive do the tuning.

Last edited by CrimsonT/A; 05-03-2024 at 09:21 AM. Reason: forgot to add details
The following 2 users liked this post by CrimsonT/A:
JacobChevys (05-03-2024), Y2K_Frenzy (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice to hear the tuning helped out more.

I don’t see why you shouldn’t be close to the high 12s at this point.

Especially with a higher stall torque converter and a couple other things it should be deep into the 12s.

Sounds like a fun car 👍
CrimsonT/A (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JacobChevys
Nice to hear the tuning helped out more.

I don’t see why you shouldn’t be close to the high 12s at this point.

Especially with a higher stall torque converter and a couple other things it should be deep into the 12s.

Sounds like a fun car 👍
That's what I've heard from several people at this point, and I would be thrilled if that was the case but until I get a chance to test it, I'll just have to fantasize lol
Y2K_Frenzy (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Happy Friday everyone!

I'm happy to announce that the transmission tuning made a BIG difference. It's amazing how held back it really was. The one - two shift is incredible, it's never aggressively lunged forward like that before, it puts a smile on your face while you say Woo! (insert Rick Flair meme here lol).
I've been trying to find a safe space to take it out to see what the real performance gain is but unfortunately every time I've gone out senor po-po is everywhere I go. Another interesting thing I learned was that my tach is off, I thought it was shifting around 6100 - 6200 RPM and in fact it was shifting at around 5700. So that brings into question about my gearing as well if the tach isn't accurate.
According to the tuner that's not an uncommon thing with these cars. Anyone have any other thoughts on that?
The only point of reference i have for zero to 60 times is what the tuner showed me: At 84°, (before he turned the car) it ran a 5.5 second 60, (my best at about 65 -70° was 5.1). After tuning it at the same temperature he was able to hit a 5.1.
I'll let you know when I've found the opportunity to officially test it out, I'm hoping that may give me a tenth or two in the quarter but overall very happy with the transmission tune and with 100% recommend. For anyone in Southwest Florida, I had Ryan with REA Automotive do the tuning.
Does it feel the same as before when it shifts under light acceleration like when you’re just cruising around normally or does it shift a little harder then as well?
Old 05-03-2024, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

, I'll just have to fantasize lol
Sometimes it’s better not knowing 😂
Old 05-03-2024, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

Sometimes it’s better not knowing 😂
Y2K_Frenzy (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Does it feel the same as before when it shifts under light acceleration like when you’re just cruising around normally or does it shift a little harder then as well?
It does shift firmer for light acceleration, it also holds the shifts a little longer as well.
Y2K_Frenzy (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

It does shift firmer for light acceleration, it also holds the shifts a little longer as well.
Cool deal.

Quick Reply: Low Mile Per Hour after LT install