Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt chirp/squeak and belt dust on alternator

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2024, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Belt chirp/squeak and belt dust on alternator

5.3 stock balancer and spacing and all new accessories but running eBay billet accessory bracket. Water pump is new AC delco L99 Camaro pump, alternator is new large truck 145amp and PS pump is new OEM engine takeoff with an ICT billet steel pulley (smaller DIA). The tensioner is an innovate billet manual tensioner and the belt is a continental elite aka gatorback. Oh the idler was also new eBay but was 3.5” in DIA. I checked pulley alignment with a straight edge and the only one I’m iffy on was the PS pump but i will post a pic of how far I have it pressed on. Everything spins smoothly and like I said is basically all new.

the car is dead quiet at idle and basically till 2k rpms and then I get a chirp/squeak which sticks around and kinda follows rpm but goes away on the shift and then comes back. Its not super consistent like every revolution but its pretty consistent in that every time im above 2000-2500 it comes in slowly and kinda follows rpm loosely. Like I said it could be making noise and then the trans shifts and it’s like dead shut off and then kicks back up above the same rpm’s.

Tonight I decided to pull the belt and inspect the tensioner and idler and saw that I had some belt dust on the alternator. The larger idler 3.5” has the belt really close to each other as it looped around the alternator pulley. I think these were touching/vibrating with rpm causing contact and noise. I had a new ICT idler pulley which was 3” and put that on to get more space. See pic. The dust seems to be in the open area between the belts as they run by each other. I spun the alternator and it’s smooth but has the tiniest of wobbles. The new L99 waterpump spins smooth but has a very slight Wobble/play in it. The PS pump pulley is pressed on to the beveled edge which aligns the outer surface to the crank. However the first rin looks farther inset than the crank and the alternator Pulley has a thick outer face pushing the ribs further in. So I have no idea how to align them. I used a mechanic stethoscope and all was pretty quiet except maybe the alternator but still not bad.

thoughts on what it could be?

You can see how close these are to each other. This pic is with the smaller new ICT 3” idler pulley. With the eBay 3.5” it was even closer. You can also see the black belt dust by the pulley on the alternator case in the belt opening.

Belt dust on alternator case by pulley which is in the opening of the belt as it wraps around the pulley. See other pic

ICT billet PS pump pulley showing how far it’s pressed onto the shaft.

ICT billet steel PS pump pulley on truck PS pump.
Old Today, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 327 Likes on 240 Posts

Pulley should be flush.
Yours is too far back.
Note the threads showing on the edge of the belt.
The following users liked this post:
customblackbird (Today)
Old Today, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Buzzard
Pulley should be flush.
Yours is too far back.
Note the threads showing on the edge of the belt.
correct. I confirmed with ICT that the pulley should have been flush with the shaft. I pulled it out flush, went with a smaller idler from ICT and also realized I didn’t have the back of the PS pump brace installed. I ordered and got that put on. Did a quick startup and some free revs and she’s quiet for now. I’ll take it out this week and see how it does.

I thought the white edge was normal and I didn’t see any fraying or anything.

Quick Reply: Belt chirp/squeak and belt dust on alternator