Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Barber fittings or AN fittings?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2024, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Barber fittings or AN fittings?

So when I go to reinstall the fuel rails on my intake, I have to address the fuel line fittings. When I tried to start this car back in early July, I had a fuel leak from under my regulator, and the front fuel rails cross over fuel fittings. Do I get AN fitting set or swap to barb fittings with a hose clamp? I run the Jegs sheet metal LS intake so it did come with the fuel rails and fittings.

Old 09-03-2024, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 708 Likes on 495 Posts

No barb fittings w hose clamps under any circumstances whatsoever in a high pressure fuel system.

I prefer AN fittings w PTFE line. Regular rubber line seeps fuel, makes the car smell like fuel ALWAYS. Besides, the PTFE line is STUUUUUPID EEEEEEZZZZZY to work with; far less hassle than the traditional rubber-ish stuff.

Can't speak to that specific kit. Other than, if the line isn't PTFE, I'd either looks for one that is, or replace the fittings & lines; whichever is less $$$.
Old 09-04-2024, 05:56 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RB04Av
No barb fittings w hose clamps under any circumstances whatsoever in a high pressure fuel system.

I prefer AN fittings w PTFE line. Regular rubber line seeps fuel, makes the car smell like fuel ALWAYS. Besides, the PTFE line is STUUUUUPID EEEEEEZZZZZY to work with; far less hassle than the traditional rubber-ish stuff.

Can't speak to that specific kit. Other than, if the line isn't PTFE, I'd either looks for one that is, or replace the fittings & lines; whichever is less $$$.
where can I find AN fittings that will work for my setup?
Old 09-04-2024, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

What do you mean?

Looks like that's what's in the kit you posted about. Does that not fit your setup?
Old 09-04-2024, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

What do you mean?

Looks like that's what's in the kit you posted about. Does that not fit your setup?
It does, but the reason I posted about this is because the fitting broke and thats what sprung the leak. I was wondering if theres a better higher quality fitting i can get or if ill just have to stay with the ones in the kit.
Old 09-04-2024, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

the fitting broke
Which one? How/why did it break? Did something unusual happen to it? Whose fittings are they? AN fittings in general are pretty decent stuff, some better than others of course. Problem of course is, about the riskiest thing you can do with them, is mix-&-match them with hose of other brands. Aeroquip hose with Aeroquip fittings only, etc. You can connect different brands of fittings to each other butt not to the hose.

The actual AN fittings in the pic - the 4 elbows, the 2 straights, and the hose - are all very common AN parts. If you want to just change them all out and upgrade them, along with the hose, then yes there are any number of paths available to you. What size are they? Are they adequate for whatever you're building?
Old 09-04-2024, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

Which one? How/why did it break? Did something unusual happen to it? Whose fittings are they?
What size are they? Are they adequate for whatever you're building?
the shoulder fittings. The little ball bearing that was in the fitting wasn’t there. And when I was undoing the fitting it broke in half in the fuel line. The fittings came from Jegs with the fuel rail. Not certain of the OEM. Size is 3/8 I believe. As far as quality, they held up well until they broke, so I would say so.
Old 09-04-2024, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure what a "shoulder" fitting is.

Never seen a ball bearing in an AN fitting. Not that belonged there, anyway.

Photos would help.

AN fittings aren't given in inch sizes like 3/8". They're 4-AN, 6-AN, 8-AN, etc. The number is sixteenths of an inch approximately, so #6 is pretty close to 3/8", butt they're not specified like 3/8". 6 is pretty common for fuel systems butt often not enough when flow requirements go up. That's roughly the same as stock. If it worked OK for you though, no fuel starvation or pressure drop or anything, then it's adequate, for your setup.

If it's one of the fittings that goes on a hose, you'll probably need to replace the hose and the fitting at the other end, to avoid problems. Maybe, maybe not. Butt there's few things more aggravating than the hose not going through the back nut, or not being able to get the back nut far enough down over the hose to thread onto the fitting after you've stuck the hose in it, or the back nut not biting on the hose and holding it tight, or any number of other ways that they can go wrong.
Old Today, 03:17 PM
Staging Lane

Not sure what a "shoulder" fitting is.

Never seen a ball bearing in an AN fitting. Not that belonged there, anyway.

Photos would help.

AN fittings aren't given in inch sizes like 3/8". They're 4-AN, 6-AN, 8-AN, etc. The number is sixteenths of an inch approximately, so #6 is pretty close to 3/8", butt they're not specified like 3/8". 6 is pretty common for fuel systems butt often not enough when flow requirements go up. That's roughly the same as stock. If it worked OK for you though, no fuel starvation or pressure drop or anything, then it's adequate, for your setup.

If it's one of the fittings that goes on a hose, you'll probably need to replace the hose and the fitting at the other end, to avoid problems. Maybe, maybe not. Butt there's few things more aggravating than the hose not going through the back nut, or not being able to get the back nut far enough down over the hose to thread onto the fitting after you've stuck the hose in it, or the back nut not biting on the hose and holding it tight, or any number of other ways that they can go wrong.

elbow fitting, sorry.

its 6AN size, I guess I’ll just grab a new set of lines and fittings and button it up.
Old Today, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Body part confusion. Gotta use your kidneys sometimes to remember all of them.

I'd recommend PTFE fittings & hoses. The Summit brand seems to work great. WWWWWAAAAAAAAAYYYYY eeeeeezyer than the traditional rubber-lined stuff. And less fuel smell from the vehicle, besides.

Quick Reply: Barber fittings or AN fittings?