Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a tb

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a tb

installed a ported and polished throttle body today, finding myself in a bind.

First, my idle wont stay put. my stock idle was high around 950 or so. when i put the p&p tb in it stay right there but it would jump a little, then back down to 950...it would never dip below that though. when i hit the throttle and reved up to around 5k rpms and let down, it would hang up around 1500, stay there for a few moments, then slowly drop back down to 950, then start the bouncing thing agian....

Also, to add to this mess, my gas pedal is sticking. SO, i adjusted the screw on the throttlebody where the cable is...then my idle went up to 1000, still sticking, adjusted it again, idle is at 1050 ish, still spikes slightly, but this time my gas pedal only stick a little bit.

whats the deal here? can't figure otu this mess for the life of me. Seems that the hole on the tb blade is a bit larger than my stocker...but i didnt think this would make the idle bounce a bit and make it idle higher...i thought it was supposed to do just the opposite...

any info/help please lemme know
Travis
Old 08-01-2004, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Get the screw back where you had it. If you have Autotap you should see where your IAC counts are. There are many posts on what is an acceptable count. The you need to do an idle relearn. It is pretty simple, turn your car on, DO NOT TOUCH THE GAS, let the car idle for 5 minutes, turn the AC on, let the car idle with the AC on for 2 minutes. Done. That should fix your problem...if not post again and we will explore other options. You should always do an idle relearn though. And your IAC counts should be in a specifica range.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:47 PM

Remove the Tb and check inside for sticking. My ported & polished TB from TSP was junk when I got it. It stuck at WOT on me. The screws inside were not cut. They said it was a mistake and I got one not finished. The epoxy used on it was not cleaned on the inside when I got it. I heard the idle problem is common with TB's if not done right. You might want to send it back.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

i got it...it was the hole that was drilled in the throttle blade, it was slightly too large, i swaped out my stock tb blade for the one that was already on it, cleaned it up, installed it, idle is back to normal,still a little bit of stickiness, but being its almostlike a vacuum, ithink i just need to give it some time, ill do the idle relearn in a little bit. only one issue...my a/c compressor is shot...

but its idling good now, just a little bit sticky ill see what a hundred miles or so does to that.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slik98z
i got it...it was the hole that was drilled in the throttle blade, it was slightly too large, i swaped out my stock tb blade for the one that was already on it, cleaned it up, installed it, idle is back to normal,still a little bit of stickiness, but being its almostlike a vacuum, ithink i just need to give it some time, ill do the idle relearn in a little bit. only one issue...my a/c compressor is shot...

but its idling good now, just a little bit sticky ill see what a hundred miles or so does to that.

Thanks guys.
I have had that problem before after changing blades in other vehicles. A couple things:
1) Sometimes you need to adjust the set screw a little just to keep it from sticking shut.
2) When you put it on, don't tighten the blade down all the way. Tighten it down so you can just move it a little, flip it a couple times, tighten a little more, flip it a couple times, etc, until it is tight. If it is slightly off it will bind when it shuts.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

it sticks slightly now after about 35 miles. but the idle is great, and the power and throttle response are definately there now. seems that hole in the blade was the culprit. i did remove the bolts on the blade and fiddled with it, and thats why now it just sticks slightly. i still think it needs time to relearn. as if i leave my foot off the gas for a few moments it will stick but if i driving and cruising aroudn 1500 rpms, if i let up off the gas but put it back quickly, it doesnt stick. ill keep testing it tomorrow to see how she does. Thanks again
Travis
Old 08-02-2004, 03:59 PM

I would send it back and get another.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:03 PM
12 Second Club

Here's how I fixed my sticking TB blade. Don't even need to take the thing off the manifold.
1. Loosen the two screws holding the blade to the actuator rod.
2. Open the throttle and stick a paper towel folded in half into the TB between the bottom and the blade.
3. Let the blade close itself, then push against the blade, not the cable actuator, to fully close the blade and adjust the spacing for the towel while tightening the screws. They won't take a lot of torque, but you want them pretty snug.
Worked like a charm for me, but if it doesn't work right away, I have a few variations that might help.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

so i just fold a paper towel and put it under the blade, close it on top for the ptowel, then adjust the screws, push on the actual blade so it goes to the fully closed position or close to it, then tighten down teh screws? ill give that a try cause its still sticking slightly.

THANKS!!!
Travis
Old 08-02-2004, 11:41 PM
12 Second Club

That's the idea.