Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow installed... weird things happening...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnaflow installed... weird things happening...

It sounds great, but I have two issues/questions. First, the engine now idles at about 500 RPM. It won't stall out, but it idles so low you can't even hear it. After a few seconds sitting still in neutral, the idle goes back to normal, but if I rev it or drive it around and let it go back to idle again, it drops back to 500 RPM. I did disconnect the battery during the install like the instructions said to let the PCM relearn to the new exhaust, so I was wondering if this was perhaps the PCM "relearning" it's parameters, and if it will eventually straighten out?

Also, I noticed a dark brown fluid dripping out from the connection between the intermediate pipe and the over-axle pipe. It looks like oil, but it doesn't smell like oil, and unlike oil it is pretty sticky. There was also a fair bit of white smoke coming from the tail pipes, but again, it didn't smell like burning oil. Anybody experience this? Did Magnaflow coat the insides of the pipes with some kind of protectant? Is it the fiberglass packing burning in?

As for the kit itself, I have to say the fit and finish was excellent. This is the first exhaust that I have installed on any of my vehicles that didn't require some sort modification to fit right. It bolted right up with no clearance issues at all. And like I said before, it sounds awesome! Magnaflow really designed a great system for these cars.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

the idle is the computer relearning the idle no big deal , make sure to turn on the ac a few times too so it relerns that too. the mystery fluid and smoke most likely is condensation and there usall is a slight oil coating on all pipes for shipping purposes, but if water is coming out its probbly leaking exhasut too so check to make sure it is tight

keith
Old 08-01-2004, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you did reset your PCM then drive about a 100 miles for the car to relearn the new mods. It could fix itself that way.

Are you sure it isn't an exhaust leak at the connection you are talkin about? I don't think it would be sticky but you never know i guess.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Mine did the exact same thing

I installed the Magnaflow Catback on my 2000 Z-28, and it took about 10 minutes for the PCM to really like the system. The coating took about four, five days to completely burn off. Had the water leaking problem too, but I just retightened the clamps after a few days, and it stopped.

Other than that, I love the system
Old 08-03-2004, 03:44 AM
TECH Addict

Mine did that as well after I put my Magnaflow catback on, but now it's all better.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's ALL about the pcm relearning itself and the mods. Give it some time. Mine has been like this for 5 months but thats cuz ive gone mod crazy!
Old 08-03-2004, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

When I bought my Borla cat back the instructions said the PCM would take anywhere from 600 to 800 miles to adjust to it. It was more like 900. You did'nt have to disconnect the battery, now your PCM just has more to learn. You just put the exhaust on and go. Like the other posts say, just give it time it will fix it's self.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:25 PM
Launching!

I didn't disconnect my PCM either.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep, everything's back to normal now. Thanks guys.