Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla

Installed the adj borla catback tonight. Took 3 1/2 hours to rip off the old stuff and put the new stuff on tighten and line everything up. Ive never did it before and niether has a buddy of mine, we used just hand tools, and a circular saw to cut the old **** off. haha it was great and the sound is WONDERFUL cant wait till i get my edelbrock longtubes and ORY
Old 08-04-2004, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

IMO, Borla makes an artificial un-muscle like sound. All their exhausts sound the same to me. When you add your LT's/ORY you better like rasp. It will be insanely raspy. Congrats on gaining some know-how though bro
Old 08-04-2004, 01:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Good thing you didn't get GMMG. Your ride would sound like an old truck.
Congrats on your new Borla. You made a great choice. One of the best ones out there. Mines been on for 3 years and still looks like the day I installed it. And being able to adjust it, hey what more could you ask for. People always telling how good it sounds. Enjoy!!
Old 08-04-2004, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

IMO, Borla makes an artificial un-muscle like sound. All their exhausts sound the same to me. When you add your LT's/ORY you better like rasp. It will be insanely raspy.

Thats funny
Old 08-04-2004, 06:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 16nrollininaws6
IMO, Borla makes an artificial un-muscle like sound. All their exhausts sound the same to me. When you add your LT's/ORY you better like rasp. It will be insanely raspy. Congrats on gaining some know-how though bro
Ok, what does artificial un-muscle mean? Im thinking of getting headers with my borla but what makes it raspy? Using LT's or using LT's with a ORY? That worries me cause I aint into the truck sound........
Old 08-04-2004, 06:28 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pleasing exhaust sound is measured very subjectively.
I say congrats on your new setup. It flows very well too.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:43 PM
Launching!

I have Borla with QTP longtubes and a catted-y, sounds badass. I love it.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6 RULES
Congrats on your new Borla. You made a great choice. One of the best ones out there. Mines been on for 3 years and still looks like the day I installed it. And being able to adjust it, hey what more could you ask for. People always telling how good it sounds. Enjoy!!
GMMG sounding like a truck... Layoff the crackpipe buddy... It has about the most "muscle car" tone to it of any aftermarket cat-back out there... Borla now sounds more like a UPS truck to me. It isn't "deep" or "muscular" sounding, that's for sure. I never liked mine...

To the original poster, yeah man, the Borla will sound incredibly raspy, poppy, and unrefined with headers and no cats. The catless Y is what will cause all that nasty raspiness. But since what sounds good or not is purely subjective, you may love it. I however, can't stand the sound of a Borla with headers and no cats...

Mike
Old 08-04-2004, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2000LS1Z28
GMMG sounding like a truck... Layoff the crackpipe buddy... It has about the most "muscle car" tone to it of any aftermarket cat-back out there... Borla now sounds more like a UPS truck to me. It isn't "deep" or "muscular" sounding, that's for sure. I never liked mine...

To the original poster, yeah man, the Borla will sound incredibly raspy, poppy, and unrefined with headers and no cats. The catless Y is what will cause all that nasty raspiness. But since what sounds good or not is purely subjective, you may love it. I however, can't stand the sound of a Borla with headers and no cats...

Mike
Thank you.

I wasnt bashing Borla or anything, it just isnt the sound I like. Its not like other cat-backs. Any exhaust on our car sounds good, but IMO, I think Borla is too artificial.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:12 PM
Launching!

So is the general rule that LT's and a borla catback with catted y pipe sounds good? Does taking out the cats cause the rasp???
Old 08-04-2004, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jdp244
So is the general rule that LT's and a borla catback with catted y pipe sounds good? Does taking out the cats cause the rasp???
Yes, taking out the cats causes the rasp. It has to do with the block of the LS1 being aluminum. Does it sound good? Its opinion. I would say a lot better than an ORY, but IMO, it still doesnt sound right.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm... I have the Borla and LT hookers with ORY and its sounds wicked. I actually have it blocked off with all flow going through the muffler so its not insanely loud. The only rasp occurs between 2200 and 2700 rpms at > 50% throttle. Of course if you hammer it through first year thats about 0.1 second!

Don't believe otherwise, you'll love it with the headers.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WS6 RULES
I was thinking I was the only one who thought that.