Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SS/WS6 Exhaust Tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004 | 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default SS/WS6 Exhaust Tips

Could someone tell me what exhaust tips are on stock 00-02 ss/ws6 catbacks?

I'm asking because I want to put one of those catbacks on my stripper 02 Z28 and I need to have the stock (rectanlge) exhaust tips. I'm a parts guy at a Chevy dealership but all the catbacks have the same picture showing rectangle tips (even the V6 catback which I know only has a single tailpipe).

Thanks is advance!
Old 08-04-2004 | 06:38 PM
TECH Regular

You're a parts guy and dont know. Hmmm guess I better never ask you for part numbers. :p

I dont know about the SS but on the WS6 the tips are your average round chrome tips with a rolled tip. I am not sure about the size but I'd say they were 2 3/4.
Old 08-04-2004 | 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=Trans Am WS6 RGS]You're a parts guy and dont know. Hmmm guess I better never ask you for part numbers. :p

Yeah, it's pretty sad the lack of Info GM "allows" us. In my catalog it shows the same Part # for SS/WS6 and GM's DETAILED description is "muffler,exhaust(with tailpipe)" Thats it. I wish there were a few more cars aroud to see what they have but most have aftermarket catbacks on them.

Thanks alot for the response.
Old 08-04-2004 | 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

They are little round tips that do the car no justice. I will try to find some pics...
Old 08-04-2004 | 08:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

from one parts guy to another the listings do suck *** once you get more experince you'll learn never to take p/n's from the pics just a referance then go to the group

the ss/ws6 NON SLP cars just have the single tip on each side chrom rolled tip, the ss muffler is a lil shorter not to much though youd be better off finding a dual/dual or something flows better than either of gms and still quiet
your tips are a lil bigger than 2-1/4 now the ss-ws6-slp d/d are 2-1/2"
Old 08-04-2004 | 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've got pics of an 01 SS with the chrome three inch tips on each side if you want. They aren't big enough for my tastes, but if you want them, just let me know and I would be happy to send them to you
Old 08-04-2004 | 10:00 PM
Launching!

yeah the ws6 tips really suck but they arent as bad on the ss. I guess its because of the body. The ws6 needs double tips
Old 08-05-2004 | 08:56 AM
Launching!

Smile

Here is a picture of my 2002 Trans Am WS6 with the OEM exhaust system right before I swapped it out for a GMMG exhaust system. Two tips and they are polished and round and "rolled" at the edges. Let me know if anybody needs the outside diameter of the tips posted.

By the way one of my friends put the exhaust system from a 2001 Trans Am WS6 just like mine on his 1998 Camaro SS because his car only had one exhaust tip and he wanted two. Later he removed that exhaust and installed a LoudMouth, also with two tips.
Old 08-05-2004 | 09:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys, your info has been greatly appreciated. Looks like what i'm going to do is pick up a SS/WS6 catback and have my Z28 tips welded on.

This is because it's the wife's car and she insists NO MODS .
So if i keep the stock tips and GM tone she will never notice!!

Thanks again for all the help!!!!
Old 08-06-2004 | 01:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NO-OPTION-2002
Thanks guys, your info has been greatly appreciated. Looks like what i'm going to do is pick up a SS/WS6 catback and have my Z28 tips welded on.

This is because it's the wife's car and she insists NO MODS .
So if i keep the stock tips and GM tone she will never notice!!

Thanks again for all the help!!!!
It is louder than the standard exhaust but is still pretty quiet.
Old 08-06-2004 | 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Thank You

Perfect! That's exactly what I am looking for.

Hey, thanks to all for the good advice. I've had my car for a week, but I have been following LS1Tech.com for about a year researching what I would like to buy. I saw and have now experienced the great info and fast, courtious responses. This site is even better than what I expected!!!!

Thanks again to all!
Old 08-06-2004 | 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

www.ls1sounds.com should help you out a lot too when deciding on the exhaust. MAD props for the guy/s who did that site.

-Todd
Old 08-12-2004 | 03:24 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Kelly, you can have my SS factory catback it you want, and the shipping is free too if you drop by my house! Only problem is the muffler has been changed out with a flowmaster 80 series, but it's still pretty quiet if you're running cats.

BTW, my wife says no mods also, but she has her own fbody so that makes things easier! I still managed to talk her into porting the heads when we did the top end rebuild on her car last winter (a '93 T/A.) It was a 275 hp factory rated car, so now she enjoys saying it has 300 hp!

Last edited by Cal; 08-12-2004 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-12-2004 | 03:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, Cal, I think i'll take you up on that offer!!! Do you by chance still have the factory muffler lying around? What i'd like to do is make as much HP as I can with "factory stock parts" . That way when I stomp someone and they ask "what ya do to that thing" my reply will be it's all stock, GM! And then watch thier faces drop! Of couse this includes all the "better" GM suspension pieces as well (EXAMPLE -- 1LE stuff).

Thanks Again Man!!!
Kelly
Old 08-13-2004 | 01:02 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

No Ogden Muffler kept that when they put the Flowmaster on, I knew I should have asked them for it but just couldn't think of "why" at the moment! Anyway, like I said, the Flowmaster sounds almost like stock anyway as long as you still have the cats. In fact, the cats do so much muffling you can run straight pipes on an LS1 with no muffler at all (just the cats) and it's really not all that loud. An SLP Loudmouth catback is basicaly this.

Hey do you want to buy back the 1LE springs you sold me? You could have the rear 1LE's that I picked up used also; as you know very well these can no longer be had from GM. Actually, I'm serious; they are great springs, but I want to go with some stiffer coil-overs. I did cut a couple of coils off them though; car sits at 26" now. I don't have the coil-overs yet, but I'll make you a killer deal on the 1LE stuff when I get my CO's. BTW did you know you can get 1LE swaybars from SLP pretty cheap?

Since you're staying with all GM stuff, you ought to get a GM hotcam for that car! Or at least an LS6 factory cam . . . you can get either one pretty cheap and they both use LS6 springs.

Last edited by Cal; 08-13-2004 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-13-2004 | 09:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Thanks, man!!

Yeah, when you get to that point, give me a call down at the dealership and we will work something out! I'm still interested in the catback, let me know when it is convienent to stop by (I guess just PM me with your address).

Thanks Again Cal!!

Quick Reply: SS/WS6 Exhaust Tips