Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plug/Wire change

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 08:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plug/Wire change

I replaced my plugs and wires last night on my 01 SS. I'm using MSD 8.5 wires and NGK TR55 plugs gapped @ .060 (stock).
I know this is probably a boaring subject for most of you but after OHMing the OEM wires I thought I would post my findings.
First I have to say this is really not too bad of a job at all. My last car was an LT1 Corvette, plug wire change took several hours and involved removing some accessories to gain plug and opti access. Anyway it took me 20 mins to complete the driver's side and I have about 20-30 mins in on the pass side so far, had to stop working. I don't know how everyone else does thiers but I found it alot easier to get at the pass side plugs with the coil pack completely removed from the valve cover.

I Ohmed one of the stock wires which are aprox 6" in length, 345 ohms which equates to 690 Ohms/Ft. There is 35k miles on them.
The new MSD wires Ohm @ 26-27, so 54 Ohms/Ft. Big difference.
Just curious what is an acceptable range for plug wire resistance ?
I left the aluminum OEM boot covers off the MSD's, I assume this should be
ok ? I think the boots are far enough away from the manifolds as not to cause any problems.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Off subject, but in your pic, on the drivers side back wire, is your plug wire boot hitting the exhaust? Mine is, and is of concern to me.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:59 PM
12 Second Club

I think it's just the angle of the picture but it does clear the manifold.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Resistance diff of hundreds of ohms will make no difference whatsoever. The resistance of the wires is tiny compared to the resistance at the plug gap; a few thousand ohms one way or the other in the wires makes no difference.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by patSS/00
Resistance diff of hundreds of ohms will make no difference whatsoever. The resistance of the wires is tiny compared to the resistance at the plug gap; a few thousand ohms one way or the other in the wires makes no difference.
\
I was wondering the same thing. I have MSD 8.5mm wires too. All of my wires but one are at 26 ohms. The oddball cycles between 30-300 ohms, I can't get a steady reading, it's wierd. Also, my engine seems to miss on one cylinder at idle occasionally. Unfortunatly I didn't save the stock wires to test the thing.

Do you think the one oddball wire will make a difference?
Old 09-09-2004, 11:02 PM
12 Second Club

Did you remember which wire it was that jumped around and if so have you moved that wire to a different cylinder to see if the miss moved with it? might be a bad wire?