Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Question

I found a vendor that is selling Kooks stainless steel headers with free shipping for like $780. Do I need to get these headers coated or leave them as is? Also should I invest in flow cats or stick with my stock ones? I also bought a y pipe that is 2.5 diameter and was wandering if I can use this pipe instaed of buying another?
My last question is for people who have emissions because I live in PA and they do a visual and some test with the computer; will it pass the test because I asked at a chevy dealer and they were not real sure but thought it would pass as long as I keep cats on it. Thanks for the help and opinions.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:58 PM
Launching!

You don't need to get the stainless steel headers coated, unless u just want the bling factor. Why don't you just buy the catted y-pipe from kooks when you get the headers. About the emissions, it's illegal to move your cats from the stock location and the longtubes will do that so it all depends on who you have inspect your car and how strict they are.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Toadman
I found a vendor that is selling Kooks stainless steel headers with free shipping for like $780. Do I need to get these headers coated or leave them as is? Also should I invest in flow cats or stick with my stock ones? I also bought a y pipe that is 2.5 diameter and was wandering if I can use this pipe instaed of buying another?
My last question is for people who have emissions because I live in PA and they do a visual and some test with the computer; will it pass the test because I asked at a chevy dealer and they were not real sure but thought it would pass as long as I keep cats on it. Thanks for the help and opinions.
First, keeping looking for a better price, I got $764 from SDPC w/ free shipping. I would buy the Kooks catted y along with the headers, it's a great fit and will flow better than a 2.5in y-pipe. Emissions shouldn't be a problem as far as the sniffer goes (my car seems to be running very clean and the cats aren't broken in yet), but the visual test might be a problem. Also don't forget to pick up 2 o2 extensions so you can hook up the sensors to the collectors on the headers. You won't throw any codes either if you get the Kooks catted Y and the PCM doesn't seem to have any problems adjusting to the new parts either.

Last edited by MJSLude99; 08-09-2004 at 07:00 PM. Reason: more info