Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pros cons of not running cats

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok thats it there coming off,lol how do i take em off, or can i just punch em out an get the same effect??? that way my o2 are still there
Old 08-12-2004, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

This sounds like a "no cat's" support group...

hi my name is Steve,
and I’ve been without Cats for 6 months and love it. quiet at idle and ear piercing at WOT. The fumes are very minor if your in the garage. Surprisingly I have no rasp with my Borla exhaust and my headers.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

on stangs....... removing the cats seems to affect part throttle torque..
hard to desribe.. someone has said the car feels wornout.....i dunno about lsx's though.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by StavosWS6
This sounds like a "no cat's" support group...
Surprisingly I have no rasp with my Borla exhaust and my headers.
You are kidding, right?
Old 08-12-2004, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

nope no rasp, guess I’m lucky, I've heard of another guy on ls1.com that didn't have rasp either with a borla pacesetter ORY. Sounds really sweet once i get my video camera for my wedding i'll post some movies of the exhaust sounds.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98redz28
ok thats it there coming off,lol how do i take em off, or can i just punch em out an get the same effect??? that way my o2 are still there

ne know how to punch em out
Old 08-12-2004, 05:38 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 99C5JA
Pros: Loud and more power
Cons: Loud (if you don't like it)
And depending on the mods in your engine, dropping the cats can make a bigger difference than 3-5hp. Some have reported as much as 20hp.
Plus some weight savings as well.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:52 PM
Launching!

i have been running no cats for almost a year now and have not got pulled over yet, a matter of fact 2 cops pulled next to me and told me that my car sound nice
Old 08-12-2004, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StavosWS6
nope no rasp, guess I’m lucky, I've heard of another guy on ls1.com that didn't have rasp either with a borla pacesetter ORY. Sounds really sweet once i get my video camera for my wedding i'll post some movies of the exhaust sounds.
What plate you runnin?
Old 08-12-2004, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 98redz28
just wondering if i should take my cats off when i do my new headers an go with offroad pipe or get the catted y pipe, any help be cool any diif in power with em on or off????
I have have a SLP Loudmouth and I have had SLP LT w/cats, no cats, and currently I have blown out the new cats (not SLP's). Without, I loved the sound and was absolutely blown away at how loud it was. We tested it, and my car could be heard from a little over 2 miles away The police officer however did not find it amusing He did let me off with a warning for the pipes and 26 mph over the limit
With standard SLP cats, in comparison to no cats, it took the sound away as if someone was blocking the pipes with their hand After failing emissions over 9 times, because of the SLP cats, I put on different cats with a custom y-pipe.
I have successfully blown out these cats and have taken them off to find them absolutely hollow. They are just as loud from 3500 RPM and up, just as if there was no cats, but they are in between no cats and slp's cats below 3500 RPM. I prefer the gutted cat sound not too quiet and not too loud unless you want to be. I hope this made sense.

Mike
Old 08-12-2004, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by skippytheloon
What plate you runnin?

The 3/4 plate, i believe it's the widest open plate that comes with the package. Before the headers i ran with no plates. With headers that was way to loud i needed to take it down a notch... bam!
Old 08-13-2004, 10:11 PM
Launching!

For whatever it is worth, when I started driving back in the 1970s about half the cars on the streets came from the factories without catalytic converters and gasoline stations sold both unleaded and leaded gasolines. I seem to remember catalytic converters coming out in the early 1970s and becoming pretty much becoming standard by the mid to late 1970s. It was pretty much common knowledge that the catalytic converters made the cars give off less pollution but at the sake of horsepower and fuel economy. The leaded gasoline polluted more than the unleaded - but the leaded gasoline cost less than the unleaded gasoline! I also remember leaded gasoline still being sold at the gasoline stations until the mid to late 1980s. Generally we were sort of sad to get stuck with catalytic converters because during those early years the catalytic converters made the cars run worse. So the cars ran worse and used more gasoline, and this was around the time the price of gasoline was skyrocketing. "Thank you sir can I have another?" All of this reminds me of the oxygenated gasolines sold in some parts of the US during the winter months...
Old 08-13-2004, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car sounded like complete **** after longtubes and ory. Put in bullet muffler, still sounded like ****, but not quite as bad. Put cats on now it sounds awesome but it's really quiet. I have too many mufflers now.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

I have slp lt headers and the cats; and after hitting a few too many dips and potholes my cats are there just for decoration. The insides passed through the rest of the exhaust and the SES light is always on but my car is alot louder which is fine with me.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Is there any cheaper alternative to cats to prevent the rasp?
Old 08-15-2004, 03:06 AM
TECH Regular

When it comes to the question about having cats or no cats on the car think about this... Having no cats on the car is illegal of course, yet having cats on the car with any type of header is going to be illegal as well because you have to relocate the cats from the factory location. On a stock set of exhaust manifolds they are sitting like this almost at a 45 degree angle, now they will be sitting perfectly horizontal. According to the law you are not supposed to move the cats at all from the factory position... Supposedly the cats are in that spot for a reason due to the exhaust being hot enough to burn the excess fuel... My question is when you take your car to get it inspected, why don't the people inspecting the car say somthing about the cats being relocated?
Its really late and im tired so if i made any mistakes forgive me... If anyone notices anything that a screwed up on please correct me if im wrong...nicely of course.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

I'm going to an ORY next month just to get my exhaust tone the way I want. It's a little too quiet with the custom catted "Y" I have now. I'll add another video below my Sig when it's completed.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

Also on the Cat relocation thing...
The muffler shop that fab'd my Y-pipe said I could go with a single Cat that could only
be positioned by the rear-end. Now thats at least 4 feet from the original placement.
Had I known this was legal, I would have opted for that and went with a 3" "Y" and more or less had a Custom ORY,instead of the 2.5" pipe with (2) cats. I had already purchesed (2) 2.5's cats from Ebay so, went that route. So evidently relocation is legal...in Texas.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:24 AM
Staging Lane

I have FLP's with the offroads onto a GMMG, the cops have never bothered me. If ur right next to one at a light, try to keep the sound low, don't pick up speed soo fast/keep the rpm's low. Once u have it u'll know how much u can get on it without being too loud, but it does get crazy loud when u get on it, i never knew how loud mine was till i told my bro to take my car and i took his. I told him to punch it when he got onto the highway, i knew my car was loud but not that loud, when he was kinda far ahead of me he let off and punched it again, still loud, very noticeable. Just don't be too crazy when u get it put on, its kinda a good thing cuz when u get it put on u know its loud so u try to keep it down which means ur not gonna be speeding too much, but u will have ur times when u just wanna get on it. And its funny cuz when ur stopped at a light with some rice or even mustangs or whatever, ur car isn't that loud, but when u rev it they back off, gotta love it. The other day i was by a vette, 2000 or something, but he started revvin it so i started revvin it and then he revved it again. My friends were in another car and said that my car sounded louder. Wonder if i coulda smoked it or not, i wanna race a vette, see how i do.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

I have a Borla with no cats, ORY, and pacesetter headers. Was on the highway when a 200X vette pulled up to me and started to coax me. so from a 70mph start he honked and we both went WOT I walked him and quit at 120mph, he gave me a thumbs up and couldn't even hear his exhaust.

Going to dyno in a few weeks hope I will hit 350 rwhp. I had 338rwhp with just a lid, predator programmer, and Borla.

Quick Reply: pros cons of not running cats