Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Intake Manifold SOTP gain?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 12:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

compared to the cost of other intake manifolds, the LS6 seems to be worth it (LSX is like 600), and even if it only adds a little to a stock engine, it all helps together when other mods happen.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:35 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Phoenix57
(LSX is like 600)
Closer to $700.00 - $800.00+ actually.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:49 PM
TECH Junkie

and the ls6 is like 250, so the lsx ain't worth it.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, now I'm down to the Headers (which I'm still soul searching if I want to risk the LT's), the TC, and the LS6 intake manifold. I know everybody says to go for the TC, but I'm just so creeped out by that thing. The 1 video I've seen of a guy w/ a 3500 was SOOOO loose that I know I would regret it. But here on site everybody swears to go 4000+!! Oh well, it looks like for now that $600 dollars is going into the savings account. At least till I figure out what I want to do w/ it. Thanks for all the insite guys.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:36 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CaptUSA
I know everybody says to go for the TC, but I'm just so creeped out by that thing. The 1 video I've seen of a guy w/ a 3500 was SOOOO loose that I know I would regret it. But here on site everybody swears to go 4000+!! Oh well, it looks like for now that $600 dollars is going into the savings account. At least till I figure out what I want to do w/ it. Thanks for all the insite guys.
I can't imagine not having the gains right now that my little TC (2800) gave me.
I won't deny that even with that small of a stall I can still feel the difference as far as a little more looseness is concerned but the nearly half a second ET reduction and over 1mph trap speed improvement is TOTALLY worth it.
I also vote to get a TC and get no smaller than a 3500. :yup:
Old 08-19-2004, 01:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

CaptUSA - Hold on to it until you find something you really want. You might want to look into more suspension at this point too if you like taking turns. I am one of those that likes the stock feel and even a Vig2800 feels "different". A higher stall TC is a good idea but I still havent convinced myself that I will like a 3500 stall. I'd rather have the stall be not enough than too much if you drive it all the time.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, now I'm down to the Headers (which I'm still soul searching if I want to risk the LT's), the TC, and the LS6 intake manifold. I know everybody says to go for the TC, but I'm just so creeped out by that thing. The 1 video I've seen of a guy w/ a 3500 was SOOOO loose that I know I would regret it. But here on site everybody swears to go 4000+!! Oh well, it looks like for now that $600 dollars is going into the savings account. At least till I figure out what I want to do w/ it. Thanks for all the insite guys.
Get a converter!! Man, I am about to make my own video and find someone to host it just to show how tight it is on my car (and most others). There have been plenty of comments about how that guy's appeared much looser than many many others. I"m telling you, I do NOT have to rev anywhere near 3k to go with traffic. It's really not that bad AT ALL. Post in your regional forum, etc, and find someone with a larger stall that will either let you drive their car under normal conditions or at least ride along with them just to see how tight it appears. A TC is a MUST for a performance minded A4 driver. I think that is ESPECIALLY true in cali where there really isn't much that you can get away with legally! I think you REALLY need to put thought into a converter.
Good luck with your mod decisions.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

dude if you have an a4 get a stall convertor. since you will be putting in a 215 cam...id say probably no larger than a 3500 stall if its a daily driver. important thing i've read about stall convertors is getting one that works well with the cam. the TCI website has some good info on that. Then again I have never owned an automatic car.

600 bucks you say? spray that muh fugger!
T
Old 08-19-2004, 01:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....The Man ---> "Well, we know that this doesn't affect smog at all because stock cats are stock cats, but let's not let them do it anyway. Just to see how bad it pisses them off." <--- The Man.
I just saw this or I would have said something earlier.....they do have a legit reason for not allowing us to move the cats. The further from the engine you go in the exhaust stream, the more the gases cool. The converters need to be HOT to work properly and the further away you put them the slower they heat up, if they heat up enough at all. It still sucks.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

/\ Well I'll be ....... Thanks for that information. Learn something new everyday. Now I won't have to sound like a total Jack when I start to bitch about C.A.R.B. And in all honesty, their rules are working. When I was little it would shock and amaze you if you could see the mountains from my house. And now, not even 20 years later, it will totally depress / discust you if you CAN'T see them.
The consensus is definately to get the TC. The smart side of my brain tells me that you guys are all right. Because if it sucked (even a little bit) there would be at LEAST one person saying they wish'ed they had never done it. The only thing I ever hear though is how they wish they'd done it sooner. I've been talking to JRP too, and he's saying the same thing you guys are. I'm going to start looking for a very tight 3000. I remember reading one of Colonel's post's a few months back about one from TCI. Sounded pretty good. BLKZ28SPT.... Yeah man, get that video posted for us. Probably help a lot of us Nervous Nellies. Can't thank you guys enough.