Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Question

Looking to get new long tube headers but I've heard there is little gain and notice. Is this true? If not, I have a 2001 Camaro SS and lowered it about an inch and a half and looking to get long tube headers but do not know which kind (slp, hookers, dynatech and others i have not listed) that will give me good clearance. I also have a slp y-pipe and a loud mouth exhaust. Would you recommend to get a new y-pipe to match the headers?
Old 08-14-2004, 03:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-You will have to get a new Y-pipe to match the headers.

-For lowered cars, do NOT get SLP, they havg very low. The rest should all basically tuck up nicely. The lowest point is usually the pipe on the driver side after the collector where the rest of the exhaust (Y pipe, etc) has to come down to clear part of the underside of the floor.

-You should see good gains. I think 15-25 rwhp anywa, you can do a SEARCH on that, it all depends on a lot of variables though. Most people run rich after installing headers and the true potential of what you have done shows with a tune and especially when you get more into mods (nitrous, heads and/or cam, forced induction, etc)

-You will have to make some decisions about what to do with the rest of your exhaust. Most people do not like rasp, and can't stand the way the loudmouth sounds with an off road y-pipe (ORY). You have to have cats in the Y-pipe in order for it to sound good. Consider selling it as well as the Y-pipe and getting a different cat-back or (my personal vote) true duals!

-Don't know what you plan to do about AIR/EGR, but my blanket recomendation is to get non-emissions headers and just do away with the damn systems when you do the install. You do not need then, a tune or programmer can delete the codes and get rid of the SES light, and all they do is get in the way when working in the engine bay.

And BTW, those can be answered with the SEARCH button rather easily. If you haven't come across the seach **** yet (JRP), read all the links at the bottom of his sig. Very helpfull information.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JRP did come across this thread, well actually the other thread that is identical to this one.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/204221-header-question.html
Old 08-14-2004, 06:52 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I recently did headers on my car. Few things:

1. Whatever you go with, get stainless. They won't rust out, and with the way that a/c runoff hits them on a regular basis, this should be a concern. Coatings also scratch off esaily during install, making them not a viable way to stop rust.

2. If you are planning on future engine mods, or ever plan on going to big power, but the largest headers you can the first time. A stock car will not benefit more from it, but if you go stroker, blower, etc. later, you will be glad that you did.

3. The "rasp" is something that alot of people complain about, but if you are going to run cat's, the rasp is not a concern. I have cats on my car with a LM, and the rasp just isn't there.

4. Alot of manufacturers aftermarket y pipes are a little off on fitment, and other aftermarket stuff (like my spohn tq. arm) will cause other issues, so be aware of that as well.

As for gains, My car dynoed 311hp/320tq with the lid and lm, after headers it was 322hp/335tq, and after tuning with ah diablosport handheld unit, 348hp/359tq. The car was real rich, and when the deadband kicked in at about 5000rpm, it got pig rich. Tuning is absolutely nessassary to get the real benefits from the headers, so plan in doing that at the same time.

Also, if you are running lowered, I'd heed the warning on the slp's, I saw a lowered car last week with slp's bottom out in front of me on saturday night, the sparks were cool, but when we stopped, the damage was not.