Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cut-out/Y vs. True Duals

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 03:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well the thing about cutouts vs true duals, is the true duals has 2 exits, while the cutout would only have 1 exit(that is if you mount it on the y-pipe connecting to catback), but if you have dual exit before the y-pipe then it will show the same flow probably, if not better, then it wouldnt have to deal with cats(if you had em), nor mufflers, but the true duals with say bullets, there is virtually no restriction in the muffler anyways, so i guess its up to you, true duals bent correctly shouldnt go any lower than longtubes really...
Old 09-02-2004, 08:16 PM
10 Second Club

QTP dual cutout y-pipe
Old 09-03-2004, 11:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mrr23
QTP dual cutout y-pipe
that is such a badass y pipe, to bad its like $600.

i think i would rather just buy a true dual system, then I would buy some kooks or QTP headers with the rest of the money saved (difference of the Y and TD's, along with not having to buy a catback to link up to the Y.

thats just my opinion though
Old 09-03-2004, 11:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WiseguyZ28
Can u open electric cutouts in the middle of the run? How bout trying to get the best of both worlds. Start out with it closed and then open it bout halfway down the track. I have FLP's w/ory and a gmmg but am thinkin of gettin the TexasSpeed True Duals but here's the question, if i get a cutout then would i be making the same power as true duals or something minimal or would it be a good difference.
You can do this only if you are running like a 20 sec car, because from i have read it takes a little more time than you think for them to open up. I think it is like 8 seconds maybe. Someone who actually knows from experience could chime in at anytime though and call bs.

I would love to have those TSP TD's, I just wonder how much interior resonance you get from them. Still a nice setup for a good price. It would be heaven to not have all this rasp, along with the deep growl of the TD's.
Old 09-04-2004, 02:48 PM
10 Second Club

my QTP takes 5 seconds to open fully. i can overcome the 60ft problem easily with a converter.
Old 09-05-2004, 12:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Does anyone have true duals with cutouts? Any pics?
Old 09-05-2004, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Does anyone have true duals with cutouts? Any pics?
I don't see why anyone would do this.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1BlackZ28
I don't see why anyone would do this.

Easy, Sound, Intimatation, I love the sound of true duals, but it does not compare to open headers
Old 09-06-2004, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Easy, Sound, Intimatation, I love the sound of true duals, but it does not compare to open headers
That doesn't really explain why someone would put cutouts on duals. Do you not get enough sound from the dumps alone?
Old 09-07-2004, 12:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1BlackZ28
That doesn't really explain why someone would put cutouts on duals. Do you not get enough sound from the dumps alone?

You implying that true duals are as loud as two cutouts right after the header? Oh well I dont care.

Does anyone have pics of their setup / true duals with cutouts
Old 09-07-2004, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

From what I can tell nobody has ever done an open cut-out vs. TD comparison. From my years of reading this board I would imagine the cut-out would make more peak HP and pull harder up top but would sacrifice some low end. I have never had an ORY/Catback setup; I have 3" TDs dumped right now with Pacesetters. I like the sound, but the cabin rattling, exhaust rattling, and lack of clearance are all major issues for me so I think I'm going to go with an ORY/Cut-out/Catback setup. I was just wondering how much power I would lose but it seems nobody has an exact answer...
Old 09-08-2004, 12:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WiseguyZ28
Can u open electric cutouts in the middle of the run? How bout trying to get the best of both worlds. Start out with it closed and then open it bout halfway down the track. I have FLP's w/ory and a gmmg but am thinkin of gettin the TexasSpeed True Duals but here's the question, if i get a cutout then would i be making the same power as true duals or something minimal or would it be a good difference.

Yeah you can but youll have to get ones that open quick. I bought street pro and they open in 2 seconds. But I havent installed them yet.