Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust band clamp leaks

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004 | 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

dal1as, i like your idea using the high temp RTV. I would have thought it would be too hot for even that, but now I think Ill give it a shot. I was also thinging maybe a bead of high temp locktite.
Old 09-06-2004 | 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh CRAP!!!! I just finished coating all the band clamps with my high temp RTV and reassembled everything. Then I decided to look at the tube I just used and what do you know, it dosnt say O2 sensor friendly anywhere. I didnt even think to look until after I finished. Am I in deep $#!}? What should I do now? Im waiting till it finished curing for a few hours before I take it for a drive, but I have a feeling tomorrow on my way to or from work, Im going to get a nasty SES light. Once the heat bakes the RTV will it still emit o2 killing fumes that will just toast any new sensors I have to get?

EDIT: I only have front sensors in my jet-hot LTs. The clamp is 6" downstream of the o2 sensors, but I assume that this is still close enough to cause problems.

Thanks for any advice,
-Tony

Last edited by GuitsBoy; 09-06-2004 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-06-2004 | 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

The Walker Heavy duty #33278 (for the 3") is a really strong unit and comes with sealer for where the band joins. I have these with no leaks - available from summit for about $9.
Old 09-06-2004 | 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have two of them (walker from summit) on the headers, and they still leak for me. I kow what you mean about the black sealant, but that only helps on the joint where the band comes togather, I have leaks coming out from under the bottom of the band.
Old 09-06-2004 | 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Never never use RTV in your exhaust system, particularly before your O2 sensors. I have seen many warnings that the fumes will kill your O2 sensors.
Old 09-06-2004 | 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
I have two of them (walker from summit) on the headers, and they still leak for me. I kow what you mean about the black sealant, but that only helps on the joint where the band comes togather, I have leaks coming out from under the bottom of the band.
If they're the heavy duties, you should be able to crank down on then until the clamp forms around the pipe and seals completely.
Old 09-07-2004 | 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DaddySS
If they're the heavy duties, you should be able to crank down on then until the clamp forms around the pipe and seals completely.
Theyre at the point where Im about to round off the 5/8 bolt if i crank any harder with the 24" breaker bar. They still leak. I dont know why, but they do.

Anyway, the red RTV has held up fine and with 40 miles on the car so far, not SES light yet.
Old 09-07-2004 | 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Some good O2 Sensor read:
http://www.tomco-inc.com/tip4.htm
http://www.aera.org/Techside/oxygen_sensors_101.htm
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0407phr_bosch/
Old 09-07-2004 | 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Theyre at the point where Im about to round off the 5/8 bolt if i crank any harder with the 24" breaker bar. They still leak. I dont know why, but they do.

Anyway, the red RTV has held up fine and with 40 miles on the car so far, not SES light yet.

Yeah, as long as the RTV is downstream from your O2's you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: Exhaust band clamp leaks