Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

y-pipe->muffler setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default y-pipe->muffler setup

Found a thread on this but didn't see any pics. Anyone out there with a muffler such as a sweet thunder chambered muffler attatched to the y-pipe with a turndown on the end? I'm the kind of person who leaves his cut-out open 24/7/365. I just installed Pacesetters and an ORY and yanked my old cat-back out cause I had no intention of wasting time mating it to the y-pipe when I was going to replace the CB soon anyway and the cut-out would have remained open. I don't have a lot of cash so why not slap a muffler and a turndown on the y-pipe and have a nice sounding/flowing exhaust for a little more than $100?

Am I crazy or stupid or what? If anyone else has done this please post pics or opinions.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by qane
Found a thread on this but didn't see any pics. Anyone out there with a muffler such as a sweet thunder chambered muffler attatched to the y-pipe with a turndown on the end? I'm the kind of person who leaves his cut-out open 24/7/365. I just installed Pacesetters and an ORY and yanked my old cat-back out cause I had no intention of wasting time mating it to the y-pipe when I was going to replace the CB soon anyway and the cut-out would have remained open. I don't have a lot of cash so why not slap a muffler and a turndown on the y-pipe and have a nice sounding/flowing exhaust for a little more than $100?

Am I crazy or stupid or what? If anyone else has done this please post pics or opinions.
you are crazy and stupid, but so am i........let me see if i can find my pics.....at least you're gonna use a turndown!
this is a pic from the back....if you want, tomorrow morning(i'm at work) i'll try to get some better ones.....
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jdustu...&.dnm=1a67.jpg
i have mac headers and a dual cutout ypipe, and i was in a hurry and didn't have any clamps so i welded a little extension onto the purple hornie(less than 30 bucks) and welded it right to the ypipe....then i bolted the rubber hanger holder from the back onto a longer seatbelt bolt and welded a u shaped rod to the muffler and hung it from the hanger......doesn't look so nice(it was past midnight with a fluxcore welder outside) but it's done the trick so far and the car is lowered 2 inches so you can't see anyways!........actually, that pic is before i got the headers and it's just the glasspack clamped to the old y pipe...same idea though.....

Last edited by jdustu; 09-01-2004 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a couple pics....they're small cuz i was trying to figure some stuf out with uploading and downloading and stupid stuff on my website and i made them small...and yes, it's very low, and no, i don't scrap very often......