Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a thought.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 09:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Just a thought.

For those who want an over the axle setup ponder this. Summit sells 3" aluminized tubing in 4ft. sections for under 14 bucks. Harbor Freight sells a tubing bender that bends up to 3" pipe for less than 200 bucks. Why not make your own system? You can even buy couplers that join 2 pipes together for 5 bucks or Harbor Freight sells them for under 20 bucks. If you want it welded then weld it or take it and have it welded.

Now most people dont like the way a non mandrel bend shrinks the pipe in the bends, but you can pack the pipe with sand and stuff a rag in each end and tape them up real good to keep the bends alot smoother.

Like I said, its just a thought. You could build a few systems or as many systems as you want once you get the 1st one done and the possibilities are endless.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Putting exhaust parts together with couples doesnt work very well, they leak badly. Also it would take days for one of us to fab up an exhaust system on our own. I think people would just rather pay a professional to do it instead.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A coupling will not leak with a clamp. Besides you can have it welded up once you have it like you want it. If it takes days for someone to bend up an exhaust system then I guess that person would in fact be better off paying a pro. I think Im gonna go for it.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have fun!
Old 09-06-2004, 01:23 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree with ferocity02 to a point. Yes, it will be cheap and very possible for someone to do this. But it will take a lot of time (especially if you are a perfectionist like me), and most people, like me, just dont really have the extra time.

Also, I will admit that i cant weld for **** (my shop teacher taught me that one...lol...you should see my so called beads, so bad i couldnt even believe my own eyes). Now i forgot what i was getting at. Oh yeah, if you are going to customize your exhaust like this, then you will have to do some light welding. For instance, you will at least need to weld up some clamps so the pipes are not just hanging (if dumping) or resting on the axle if you decide to try that feat.

Moral of this extra long post is...if you have the time and patience, then go for it and good luck. Yet its not for everyone, but a very good idea and definately possible
Old 09-06-2004, 01:26 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry for the double post

you dont have to buy a pipe bender either if deciding to create your own exhaust b/c you can buy premade mandrel bends from jegs, summitt, etc... It will just take alot of them to get the job done. You will also definately have to have this setup welded together to prevent leaks from all the possibilities of the numerous clamps.

Last edited by Lucian; 09-06-2004 at 01:27 AM. Reason: getting late and cant spell
Old 09-06-2004, 02:16 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if it was that easy and cheap dont you think you'd see more true dual setups out the back