Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Final word on Pacesetter headers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 12:02 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Final word on Pacesetter headers?

I hate buying new products, and now these have been out for a while. What type of HP/ET gains did you guys see, and how are they holding up? Also, how is ground clearance and what y-pipe are you using (I'm lowered, just wanting to make sure I'm safe).

I'm in desperate need of some mods (headers, y-pipe, 3.73 gears, LS6 intake, and thinking about a small stock-like cam along the lines of the 02 Z06 cam) and I want the car to be well into the 12s with stock-like driveability and durability. I'll go big when this motor lets go but for now I want to keep it mild.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

I gained 30 rwhp with my pacesetters. Also, instead of a z06 cam get a tr224. Its bigger than a z06 but will make alot more power and drive just as good
Old 10-04-2004, 12:32 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We've had very good luck with Pacesetters header systems. I have them in stock & ready to ship incase your ready to order They definately offer the best bang for the buck in the header world! We stock ls6 intakes also for $360
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 10-04-2004, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

ya, headers and a ls6 intake would be a VERY nice gain. You would love it
Old 10-04-2004, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WildBills WS6
ya, headers and a ls6 intake would be a VERY nice gain. You would love it

Hope you're right, just got my LS6 intake and LT from the UPS man today.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
We've had very good luck with Pacesetters header systems. I have them in stock & ready to ship incase your ready to order They definately offer the best bang for the buck in the header world! We stock ls6 intakes also for $360
I just went on your website and i was looking at the pacesetters and what is the difference between the race, and street pacesetters other than the o2?
Old 10-04-2004, 06:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stangkiller
I just went on your website and i was looking at the pacesetters and what is the difference between the race, and street pacesetters other than the o2?
No emmissions hook-ups (EGR,AIR)
Old 10-04-2004, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mustang5.Ohater
No emmissions hook-ups (EGR,AIR)
my car is 01 w/out egr and i am getting rid of air. so ur saying i can get the race ready ones. got it.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

12.90 @ 104 with lid, catback, nittos, 3200 stall (yes i had a weak stock car)

12.30 @ 108 just adding the LTs and ORY pipe!

eventually got down to the 12.11 w/ colder weather and a pulled front swaybar.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:38 AM

Seems like these fit my budget nicely. I'm thinking of picking all of this stuff up piece by piece over the winter and getting it on the car and ready to race before the tracks open back up for the spring. So the checklist is as follows... Nittos, 3.73 gears, Pacesetter LTs & y-pipe, LS6 intake, and a possible cam (said LS6 because it would be a cheap cam to pick up, and I'll worry about going big when the motor goes out, will look into the TR224 though, since I have always wanted one). The help is much appreciated guys.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I want to do the exact thing as you josh. I had 555R's on my 95 Z28, have 4.10's in my 99 TA, need LT's and Y-pipe, have stock LS1 intake, stock cam, ported MAF, SLP lid, smooth bellow, FM exhaust, and 3" cutout. I was looking at getting a good cam, have heard things about the TR224, and since I'm new in the LSx world, who makes it and where can I get a good deal on one? Thanks guys!
Old 10-05-2004, 12:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thunder Racing ------------------------------------>
There one of the sponsors on the side there
Old 10-05-2004, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Not to derail the conversation, but saying a TR224 is going to have stock like drivability is a pretty big stretch. The valvetrain noise will greater, valve spring life shorter and idle rougher. The rougher idle can be fixed with a good tune, somthing an LS6 cam dosen't need to idle smooth. Yes, it will make much more power, but it's really not close to the same as an LS6 cam. Consider an LPE GT2-3 cam, if you want more power than the LS6 cam.

Got the pacesetters two weeks ago, waiting on my catted-Y pipe from TSP
Old 10-05-2004, 04:18 PM

LPE GT2-3 will be milder than the TR224 but more aggressive than the LS6 cam? I dont know if it would be the case with me, but I've read many people saying they picked up 25-35 RWHP with the LS6 cam, and that would be fine for me. Granted that I may see more from a TR224 but I'd also have increased cost and increased tuning responsibilities. The LS6 was my initial impression because this car isn't a "max effort" car in ET goals or in money spent. I just want to enjoy it and drive it, and the more reliable it is the better. Realistically I'd like to see something in the low 12s with all the bolt ons and some good drag radials (thinking of holding off on the Nittos and just getting a spare set of 16" wheels and some BFG drag radials for the track only). I know with my race weight than the LS6 cam wont get me there, so that has me thinking of going bigger than I'd necessarily want to. Either way it isn't a big deal though. The car only sees ~5000 miles a year, so a bigger cam wouldn't be that big of a deal. Especially when it's a relatively "small" cam like the TR224 (or maybe something like the MTI sleeper cam or TR's old man cam, etc).
Old 10-05-2004, 09:32 PM
Restricted User

The LS6 cam is pretty nice. Totally stock drivability. I ran a 12.34@109 with stock cats and stock exhaust manifolds exiting through a Corsa Catback. I was running a 3500 stall converter and 3.42 rear end gears. I had chrome 17's up front with chrome 16's on the back with ET Streets. No weight was removed. With headers I would have been in the 12.0 range.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get the edelbrock lt's with the ORY. You will get more gains, and they fit PERFECT. I have them and the install took 4 hours, then the install took 30 mins... 30 mins to get everything in and bolt it up. and when you get a cam and whatever else they will gain over the pacesetters, they are stepped 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 and the collector is a piece of art. You wont be dissappointed, i know i wasnt. fit finish and everything is great. only downside, you have to get o2 bungs welded in. But the headers come with all bolts/gaskets/you can put air egr on if you want (it comes with those to weld in if you chose) and o2 extensions!
Old 10-17-2004, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

I'm traveling down the same road. Just ordered pacesetter LT's and a TSP orp last night from TSP. Can't beat the price. Also in the process of buying on LS6 intake and next up will be a custom 224/224 TSP cam package-Can't beat their cam package prices either @ $699 for everything, inclduing dual spring good up to .660 lift, ti retainers, hardened pushrods etc etc...

ohhiitznik, most people say there is little to no HP difference from one LT to the next. The main decision to make is if you want to pay for stainless or if coated is good enough for you. if you don't need stainless than the considerations are quality, price, ground clearance, and ease if install. Pacesetters are known to excel in all these areas. They are only $375 new, the new revised ones are supposed to install very easily in only 2-3 hours and they are also known to fit pretty snuggly as well. IMO, from all I have read, unless you want stainless, you can't beat the Pacesetters in terms of bang for the buck.

PS-Thats not to say the Edelbrocks arent a quality header or a good buy. I don't know what they cost, but Edelbrock is known for quality products.

Last edited by KB99WS6; 10-17-2004 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's an odd question: I have pacesetters and had to notch my k-member (I have the old ones, I guess). What if I buy a lightweight chromemoly k-member? Do I have to notch that, too, or do they generally fit with the old pacesetters?

Anyone try THAT combo?
Old 10-17-2004, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

ok i juss ordered my pacesetters, but i have a question... (living in cali) will i need to get anything else on top of them, fyi i still have egr and air hooked up,should i juss drop one or both of them all together? and should i get the the catted TSP Ypipe, or juss go ORY? any input would help geatly

eman

ps: will the pacesetters bolt up to the TSP Y-Pipes and will the Y-Pipe bolt to the I-Pipe or will i have to get sum welding done?
Old 10-17-2004, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

Well unless you are going to reinstall your stock manifolds and cats everytime you have to get your car inspected you could get the ORY? Better get the catted Y. Cats need the AIR system. Do know how eliminating EGR will effect emission testing in cali. NOX will be higher without it.

I have PC LT and TSP ORY waiting to get installed. I was told that the Y pipe will have to be expanded some to fit the y pipe. My auto parts store rents a pipe expander. I am going to weld my ORY together once I get it the way it needs to be. I did not realize it comes in 4 pieces. It did come with clamps however, so welding is not a necessity.