Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP new catted Y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 04:59 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
ALL TSP exhaust components are on special next week
Damn, I wish I had waited to order my Y now
Old 10-29-2004, 05:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98M6SS
Cool, would be great to see pics with the sfc's. Are they slip-fit on the headers?
Yes, they are slip-fit on the headers. TSP provides two "step-down" band clamps to use at these junctions so you don't mess up your headers with U-clamps.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Jason,

since the canadian dollar is rising like mad.. i decided to finally order my headers and this Y..

DAMN WHY ARENT YOU OPEN ON WEEKENDS?! lol

i guess i gotta wait till monday!
Old 11-01-2004, 04:02 PM
12 Second Club

Well, things didn't work out exactly as I had planned since it was raining all this weekend. Didn't get to go to the lift, but had to make due with jackstands, so this is the best I could do. Some of the close-up shots are out of focus since there wasn't really any light under the car for the camera to focus. But it's not too bad and y'all didn't have to do any work, so quit whining

Y-pipe - SFC clearance

And this is the header heat shield I was talking about. First with me holding it up, second without.

And finally the cat heat shield close to the fuel lines and torque arm. Because the front was jacked up, the torque arm was actually resting on the shield, but when it's level it doesn't. However, you can see the little dent the arm has made in the shield.

Enjoy!
Old 11-01-2004, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

Are you getting any rasp? I take it those are slp subframes?
Old 11-01-2004, 05:33 PM
12 Second Club

Nope, no rasp or drone at all. In fact, the drone around 2k-2.5k before headers is gone or at least greatly reduced now. It's so much less that my wife noticed, so that's saying something

These are actually subframes made by a guy names Don Goetz. Don't know if he even makes them anymore, but they are similar to the SLPs. The only major difference is they don't have the cross-brace that goes from the tunnel brace to the LCAs. But I imagine the fronts near the y-pipe are extremely similar.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

I would have already bought that same y-pipe but i'm unhappy with the merge
Old 11-02-2004, 12:01 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Great pics! Is the performance roughly the same compared to your other y-pipe? Any idea who makes the cats? Any leaks?
Old 11-02-2004, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool

The Merge Joint needs to be more blended/smoother.
One Cat looks to be too far downline to be effective.
They could have done a better job on this.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98M6SS
Great pics! Is the performance roughly the same compared to your other y-pipe? Any idea who makes the cats? Any leaks?
I had stock manifolds/y-pipe before, so no, the performance is not roughly the same as before The cats are made by carsound and the only leaks I have are where the y and i-pipes meet and further down in my catback. But both of them are very slight, so I may not even worry about it.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by highgear
The Merge Joint needs to be more blended/smoother.
One Cat looks to be too far downline to be effective.
They could have done a better job on this.
Sure they could have done a better job, but for what price? Not $350, I can tell you that. Honestly, the only reason I wanted cats is to cut down on rasp and fuel smell. If the one farther downstream doesn't operate at peak levels, who cares? It sounds like I wanted it to and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

If I had wanted to spend more money on a better merge, I could have opted for the QTP y-pipe. But I've heard bad things about their y-pipe's fitment, so what's really the better deal?

I'm not looking for Kooks/QTP level quality here, and neither should anyone else. Would I rather a set of Kooks headers and catted y? Absolutely. But did I have the extra $1000 to spend? No. Would I have gotten $1000 worth of power difference. No.

Take your pick. Different strokes for different folks (and applications).
Old 11-03-2004, 07:22 AM
TECH Resident

Hows your ground clearance Disciple? I just had PS Lt's and TSP ory installed and the guys at the shop said the Y hangs pretty low - 4 fingers to the ground in one spot and my car is not even lowered. Wasn't too enthusiastic about that. Picking up the car today.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by KB99WS6
Hows your ground clearance Disciple? I just had PS Lt's and TSP ory installed and the guys at the shop said the Y hangs pretty low - 4 fingers to the ground in one spot and my car is not even lowered. Wasn't too enthusiastic about that. Picking up the car today.
Not sure exactly. Go stick a Coke can under your car in the lowest point and compare it to the pics I posted a few pages ago. I would assume a coke can is about 6" high, and my driver's side is a little lower than that. But I do have the SLP Level 1 suspension (which ain't much of a drop, but it is some).
Old 11-03-2004, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1_Disciple
Not sure exactly. Go stick a Coke can under your car in the lowest point and compare it to the pics I posted a few pages ago. I would assume a coke can is about 6" high, and my driver's side is a little lower than that. But I do have the SLP Level 1 suspension (which ain't much of a drop, but it is some).
The shop gave it a go a second time, did some adjusting and got it much better now! Thats whats great about the TSP pipe...the adjustability
Old 11-03-2004, 09:43 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How exactly does one go about adjusting this thing? Just move the slip fittings around or what?
Old 11-05-2004, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by -Q-
How exactly does one go about adjusting this thing? Just move the slip fittings around or what?
Yep, there are about 4 joints in the y-pipe to move around for the best positioning. Although, I suppose you'd have more options with an ORY because you wouldn't have to worry about the cat clearance.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all of the great pics and information LS1_Disciple! I just talked with Jason earlier this evening and ordered mine. Do you mind if I add this information to www.ls1sounds.com? Thanks!
Old 12-07-2004, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bumpbump
Old 12-13-2004, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

I just installed my TSP Catted Y yesterday. A few notes. Overall the Y pipe is a nice piece, but it is not without problems. The first thing I noticed is that not all of the pieces fit together correctly. One of the pipes was not flared correctly and as a result took about 10 minutes with the dremel just to get the pipes to fit together. Probably just a isolated incident. Also, some instructions should be included, as it's not totally obvious how the pieces fit.

The second note is that I had to take the sawsall to my magnaflow cat-back exhaust, as the they both had necked down ends (3" to 2 7/8"). Also, it's a pain in the *** to get it to fit right, not terrible, but much more work then a regular Y pipe. The merge collector also needed some attention with the dremel. Last thing, on a convertible, you will lose the stock subframe connector, it won't fit anymore.

On a positive note, the thing did fit pretty good. I'm definitly giving up some decent ground clearance over the stock setup. I haven't run the engine with it yet, we will see how it sounds. Of course I did the whole install by myself, with the car up on jackstands in 35 degree weather, no garage here.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1 Sounds
Thanks for all of the great pics and information LS1_Disciple! I just talked with Jason earlier this evening and ordered mine. Do you mind if I add this information to www.ls1sounds.com? Thanks!
Sure thing, go for it