Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP new catted Y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:
Finished the install and am not happy with the ground clearance. At the lowest point, I've got about 2". It scrapes over small speed bumps. After looking at the pics of the other install, mine looks similar, except my car is lowered 1.5". I'm going to put it on a lift tomorrow and see if I can get any more ground clearance. If not, I think I'll have to go with a Off road Y pipe.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i finally picked up my y pipe and i must say tha it looks very high quality.

everything slides into place very nicely.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Ok, I got the car up on a lift today, I was able to get quite a bit more ground clearance on the passenger side, but not much more on the drivers side. It dosen't scrape anymore over the normal speed bumps, but on large ones it still will.
The downside now is that to get the extra ground clearance I had to literally put the drivers side cat right up against the fuel lines, and the 3" pipe leading to it up against the floorpan. The result, of course, is some vibration/banging on takeoff. I think I'm going to get some exhaust insulation or exhaust tape and put it between the exhaust components and floorpan.

As for sound, it is noticeably louder compared to the stock manifolds. It sounds like a muscle car now when I punch it. A definite improvement in sound, however I would not want it much louder.

As for power, this is the most noticable power increase I've felt so far. Before I couldn't just punch it from a roll in first and light up the tires, now it will. I punched it in 2nd at about 50 and was able to break the tires loose, which the car had no prayer of doing before. Overall I am very pleased. The idle and drivablility is like stock, except for it's louder and sounds meaner. I think true duals w/ dumps before the axle would have been too loud, not to mention, no cats.

Hope this helps all you guys trying to decide on wether to buy this system or not. I think if I had gotten a system that had been flared properly, it would have been much easier. In TSP's defence, it was just one pipe, but it turned into a major hassle. Also, having the car on a lift makes the job much easier.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:06 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious if you had your car tuned and dyno'd after the install? Mine's going in next week.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by -Q-
Just curious if you had your car tuned and dyno'd after the install? Mine's going in next week.
I didn't have mine tuned or dyno'd. The power level is not even close to what it was. I was really suprised, as my cat-back exhaust, lid/filter, free mods, none of it made even close to as much of a difference as the headers/ Y-pipe swap. I'm sure there is power to be gained with a tune, but it runs just was smooth as it did before swap. Next on my list is HP Tuners. I already have my 02 LS6 cam kit ready to go in.

Final update: Ground clearance issues, as a result of the stupid raising front gate here on Fort Riley, have caused me to shelf the Catted Y pipe and buy an ORY. I put a nice dent in the catted Y today, nothing serious, but I can't keep doing this to my Y. It's either an ORY or raise the car back up, and I love my DMS springs, so the Y's got to go. I'll be keeping it in case I move back to California.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:21 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

That sucks about the ground clearance man. I was planning on lowering my car a little in the future, but not if its going to scrape like that. How much do you think you could lower the car and still have enough clearance?

I am taking my car to my brother's shop and putting in the LTs and TSP catted Y next week. We'll be doing a baseline dyno, LT/Y dyno, and then tuning with HP tuners. So I'll have some good data to post after next week.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=-Q-]That sucks about the ground clearance man. I was planning on lowering my car a little in the future, but not if its going to scrape like that. How much do you think you could lower the car and still have enough clearance?

If I didn't have to drive on and off a military base then it wouldn't really matter, as I don't scrape now, except on their damn gate ramps, but it scrapes very hard. I think a 3/4" drop is about all I would do. But like I said, when I just drive around town there are no problems. Regular speed bumps arn't a problem either. With where I live I just can't have the reduced ground clearance and the drop. I got my Pacesetter ORY today, It's going in tomorrow. I'll see how I like it.

You will definitly like the power.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:31 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

We just finished the install and tuning of the Pacesetter LTs with TSP catted Y, and we're very impressed. I'll post up more when I get a chance (my brother is welding in my subframe connectors as we speak), but the car made great power on the dyno and has an awesome torque curve; picked up roughly 25 horsepower and 20 ft/lbs torque. Ground clearance isn't too bad either.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:34 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Numbers and data are in the dyno forum