Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free ram air mod results???

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are here to race! Just the logic that since my air filter is dirty I must be getting more air is ludicrous. The correct logic is, since my air filter is dirty, I must be getting dirty air, but not necessarily more air. I've decided if I do anything I'll go with the SSRA. Seems like the best design out there and the pickup is probably high enough off the road to not pull in too much dirty air.

Only other option is one of the Firebird type ram air hoods that pull near the front of the hood, but I do not like the looks of that on a Camaro.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:42 PM
9 Second Club

FWIW GM High Tech did the FRA plus de-screened the MAF, TB bypass, cut the EGR & ported the TB. They gained just over 10rwhp and 7 pound feet of torque. This was on a 99 T/A.

Old 10-15-2004, 06:09 PM
10 Second Club

Red face

Originally Posted by glennhl
We are here to race! Just the logic that since my air filter is dirty I must be getting more air is ludicrous. The correct logic is, since my air filter is dirty, I must be getting dirty air, but not necessarily more air. I've decided if I do anything I'll go with the SSRA. Seems like the best design out there and the pickup is probably high enough off the road to not pull in too much dirty air..
Yes, because the air pulled from the front bumper only 5 inches off the ground is SUBSTANTIALLY cleaner than that ugly, dirty air pulled from one foot further back and 6 inches off the ground.
The filter will ultimately look almost EXACTLY the same (ie: a thin, dark strip of dirtier area) whether you use FRA, FTRA, SLP cold air, SSRA or all of the above concocted together LOL.
But agree that the SSRA does look like a very nice option for getting cool air to the filter quickly.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:18 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

After looking at the various product options, the SSRA seems like best, but the other downsides remain with it. It pulls dirty air from down close to the street, it has the potential to suck in standing water and create hydrolock, and it makes for a block in front of the condenser/radiator. Plus it costs $200. Doing RA through the hood brace (on a Firebird-T/A, at least) would avoid all these problems.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
After looking at the various product options, the SSRA seems like best, but the other downsides remain with it. It pulls dirty air from down close to the street, it has the potential to suck in standing water and create hydrolock, and it makes for a block in front of the condenser/radiator. Plus it costs $200. Doing RA through the hood brace (on a Firebird-T/A, at least) would avoid all these problems.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:17 AM
Teching In

FWIW, I put the SLP flow pac on my 2000 SS and the throttle response was more response. Also bone stock I ran a 13.9 @ 101. with the flow pac I dropped to a 13.26 @ 105. Okay, I must be honest I can't say it was because of the flow pac but that was the only mod I had on the car. Just my .02. Good luck, Don