Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals X-pipe dumped on slammed f-body*PICS* (56k Take a nap)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 5POINT7
I agree I need to relocate the mufflers, but where? I watched the guy that put them on and he tucked them as best as he could. Any ideas on where they should go?
Look at the sweet thunder folder in my webshots. You have to get the bullets into the tunnel with the driveshaft and t/a. Running them under the seats takes away all of your clearance.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow thats low, i would be afraid driving like that, no matter how flat the ground is man.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

When he was welding the brackets, he had to mount the mufflers outward like they are. We tried tucking the mufflers into the tunnel but it would have been directly resting on the torque arm. If I get it welded with the mufflers sitting on the torque arm while the car is in the air on a lift, will they hit the torque arm when the car is sitting normal on the ground?
Old 11-14-2004, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

my car is lowered about the same as you, I have 3in true duals sitting in my room. Do you think it would be worth it to sell the 3in and buy 2.5in? for the extra clearence.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cefiro
my car is lowered about the same as you, I have 3in true duals sitting in my room. Do you think it would be worth it to sell the 3in and buy 2.5in? for the extra clearence.
ABSOLUTELY. Wish I would have gotten a 2.5" system but you gotta live with your decisions. Sounds sweet, though.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

dude.. that **** is wack!! i went to the local muffler shop. had him fab me up some xhaust. its Hooker long tubes to 3'' pipe to 3'' x pipe to 40 series flowmasters underneith the rear end then up and out. some speed bumbs suck.. but u just go over them sorta sideways. it used to scrape but doesnt n e more. i thought that **** was tore up. i just changed the oil 2 days ago. and that **** is barely scraped. its sounds awsome!!! everyone loves it. dont waste ur money on the Texas speed ****. there wack as it is!! i can take pics if u guys want to check it out or dont believe me. i think i paid like 700 all together.. gettin it all fabbed up and everything. with headers mufflers.. etc..
Old 11-15-2004, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SlpLS1
dude.. that **** is wack!! i went to the local muffler shop. had him fab me up some xhaust. its Hooker long tubes to 3'' pipe to 3'' x pipe to 40 series flowmasters underneith the rear end then up and out. some speed bumbs suck.. but u just go over them sorta sideways. it used to scrape but doesnt n e more. i thought that **** was tore up. i just changed the oil 2 days ago. and that **** is barely scraped. its sounds awsome!!! everyone loves it. dont waste ur money on the Texas speed ****. there wack as it is!! i can take pics if u guys want to check it out or dont believe me. i think i paid like 700 all together.. gettin it all fabbed up and everything. with headers mufflers.. etc..
I would like to see some pics. I'm about to go under the axle and would like to take a few different pics to the guy when he does it.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

im interested in seeing this set up too.

5point7, exactly how much is your car lowered? cause it seems the entire bottom of the car is relatively low. Id suggest perhaps atleast looking into doing the bfh mod to the rear seat buckets under the car to add some extra clearance for the mufflers.

i've been where you are. flat streets or not, eventually its gonna scrape on something and you are going to tickle **** down your leg when you hear it. the extra half in of clearance if you went 2.5 inch true duals would really n ot make tha tmuch of a difference in sound or performance id think. but nor do i think it would help you out enough to make an argument about it with true duals. Id look into the bfh mod and go from there.

i've been contemplating going back to true duals but i can't afford the sweet chamber mufflers i want and i had nothing but issues with fitment when i did mine. first they were too low, then i tucked them up too much and they banged...DOH. then i got that whole nothern va cop thing going against me (about the same as cali here in nova).

Good luck with whatever you do, enjoy it. hopefully you can gain some ground clearance somehow so you can hav a bit more peace of mind while driving !

T
Old 11-15-2004, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree I need to relocate the mufflers, but where? I watched the guy that put them on and he tucked them as best as he could. Any ideas on where they should go?

You should be able to get a lot more clearance by repositioning the mufflers. Up to the x-pipe looks great, but there is room to tuck both the pipes and the mufflers partially into the driveshaft tunnel by inverting the fuel and brake line clamps on the drivers side of the tunnel.

Here is my system:
Lane's 2.5" w/ Dr. Gas x-pipe and 14" Magnapacks

Suspension is Hypercoils with Strano valved Bilsteins
Old 11-15-2004, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

okay, I got some pics, so if you could tell me how low your car is in comparision to mine I would appreciate it. Keep in mind I already have my 3in true duals (with sweet thunder bullets) at my house, im at college right now so I cant just put them under the car and see.

ground clearence from side skirt

ground clearence

A pic of the car from the side:

So again do you all think it would be worth a small loss on selling the 3in, and going to 2.5 in? I will be installing headers, exhaust, and a cam at the same time, so I should be at around 400rwhp.

Last edited by Cefiro; 11-15-2004 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont waste ur money on the Texas speed ****. there wack as it is!! i can take pics if u guys want to check it out or dont believe me. i think i paid like 700 all together.. gettin it all fabbed up and everything. with headers mufflers.. etc..
I paid $499 istalled with mufflers and clamps on my setup. But mine dump, though. I'd like to see pics if you got em.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slik98z
im5point7, exactly how much is your car lowered? cause it seems the entire bottom of the car is relatively low. Id suggest perhaps atleast looking into doing the bfh mod to the rear seat buckets under the car to add some extra clearance for the mufflers.
Car is lowered with Eibach pro kit springs, but I've got bad stock shocks, so that could be a reason why my car is so low.

Also, I didn't know you could do the BFH mod to the rear seat buckets? I think I'll try that, any tips...or is it just like the BFH on the fenderwell to fit my zr-1's?
Old 11-15-2004, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

NOBR8KSS, thanks for the pics. How did everything look while the car was on a lift, though? B/c I promise when my car was on the lift, the guy welded everything as close to the seat buckets as possible...I watched him do it. Also, did your system touch your torque arm while on the lift?

Cefiro, if you're getting headers and cam too I would go with the 3in. Your clearance seems pretty good for a lowered car. Keep in mind, I've got Eibach pro kit springs, but my shocks are worn so my car prolly sits lower than most. Hope it works out.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the advice, if I find myself scraping all the time I guess that I will raise the car back up.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anymore ideas, opinions, comments?
Old 11-17-2004, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

NOBR8KSS, thanks for the pics. How did everything look while the car was on a lift, though? B/c I promise when my car was on the lift, the guy welded everything as close to the seat buckets as possible...I watched him do it. Also, did your system touch your torque arm while on the lift?
The exhaust was prefabbed at Lane's shop in Texas and I only had to install it on my car. It tucks up into the driveshaft tunnel (slightly) and does not touch the torque arm anywhere...it's close...probably 1/4"...but it has never touched it.
You have a Spohn torque arm and it is taking up most of the space on the driver's side of the tunnel. I have the G2 and it leaves room for the dual exhaust.

Quick Reply: True Duals X-pipe dumped on slammed f-body*PICS* (56k Take a nap)