Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Using Brisk Plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 08:15 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I never even thought about taking pics... I guess I can go pull a plug and see how it looks after 50 miles...lol

The car is not a daily driver and is getting into hibernation time here in PA. I drove it yesterday because it was almost 55 degrees here and sunny. I am actually a little happier with the colder plug because I am not quite sure of my compression (not sure how much my heads are really milled) but suspect to be north of 11.2:1.

If you check this link, you'll see what they say about the different heat ranges. I don't think a "15" is that cold, but a "17" might be too hot... not really sure. I can say that the car is running really smooth and pulls hard at all rpms, which it wasn't doing before the plug swap.
http://www.briskusa.com/technical_02heatrange.htm
Old 12-06-2004, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess it's difficult to compare heat ranges of plugs from different manufacturers, especially if the design is as radical as the LGS. I started a different thread on heat range HERE but haven't gotten a ton of response on it.
If the 15 is truly half a step colder than a tr6, then it's a fairly cool plug. I don't really have a big problem with that, as I can buy a handy dandy plug cleaner for around 20 bucks. If I get a blower, then I'm sure to be happy with the 15 heat range. 7 Lbs on a 10.1 LS-1 puts you at 14.9 static compression.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

i would never pay $70 bucks for plugs im sticking with ngk tr6 $12 bucks for all 8. i dont trust brisk plugs i have heard a bunch things about them
Old 12-07-2004, 11:24 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by boosted03cobra
i would never pay $70 bucks for plugs im sticking with ngk tr6 $12 bucks for all 8. i dont trust brisk plugs i have heard a bunch things about them
What have you heard about them... I did an extensive search and found very little, but what I did find was positive.

Post some links if you have any further info. All I know is that my car is running much better right now compared to running the TR-55s and the AC Delco's.

Time will tell.

Edit: Here is just an example of what I found....
http://realbig.com/detomaso/2000-08/1364.html

The stock plugs, Motorcraft AWSF32EE's only had 5000 miles on them...
Looked nice and clean... slight off white tint to the center insulator, and
a tan-light brown area on one part of the insulator, assumed to be due to
the direction of swirl/flame travel. All plugs look pretty much the same.
Baseline 0-60 on stock plugs (3 seperate gaps... .054 stock, .050 and .060
with no different results in time). 9.0 seconds as timed on a Vericom.

New Brisk plugs... total of both gaps appears to be around .050" to
060" 5 runs back to back under similar weather conditions in the same
stretch of road as the previous test... 8.3 seconds. all runs within 0.1
sec. of each other. (varied from 8.2 to 8.4) on the same Vericom.

Impressions: Idle is smoother and engine is more responsive... Even new
stock plugs felt like there was a slight miss at idle...
no flat spot off idle, and engine doesn't fall on it's face like it's run
out of air/fuel at 4500 RPM.. stock 1-2 shift point is 5200 RPM.
Accelerating on dry pavement from a dead stop at WOT and all 4 tires
squeeled as they crossed the paint lines of the crosswalk... Stock plugs
wouldn't do this unless it was damp out... Engine pulls right past 4500
with no fall off of power, and the shift is slow enough that I have to be
careful and watch... holding my foot to the floor and 7 out of 10 times the
engine hits the rev limiter at 5500 RPM before it can shift!
Heavy loads at freeway speed (passing) are no problem either... no
hesitation etc, just pulls great.
Took a couple trips this weekend as well... about 500 miles total...
Mileage is up to 23 on this thing, some traffic, mostly cruising at 75-80
with the A/C at full boogy.
Stock plugs, best mileage on these same trips under similar conditions was
19.5-20
I am really curious as to what you have heard about them being bad. It was raining here yesterday and today so I took the beater to work, but I'm curious what kind of mileage I will see after putting these in. I am already sold on their performance advantage.

Last edited by The Alchemist; 12-07-2004 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:03 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

10.89@123.73 MPH = TR55
6qts.Valvoline DINO 10/30 for me....

I'm cheap,cheap,cheap....
Old 12-07-2004, 12:48 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by JS
10.89@123.73 MPH = TR55
6qts.Valvoline DINO 10/30 for me....

I'm cheap,cheap,cheap....
Yeah, but how much have you spent on H/C packages as well as headers ect ect. I know you've run at least three different style of headers alone, sometimes you gotta try something new and break out of the paradigm....lol just kidding Joel. Congrats again. But what if you could drop a tenth and gain 0.5 mph by switching out the plugs? Would it be worth $80 to you then? I mean your looking to buy lightweight lugnuts of all things.

I still don't see why people are skeptical when the power stroke begins at the spark plug. Many people spend lots of money upgrading wires, coilpaks and even adding a MSD setup. Honestly, how much is a set of MSD wires, last I checked it was close to $65 when you factor in shipping ect.

If I hadn't noticed a difference I would have pulled the plugs and gone back to TR-55s in a heartbeat, but I did notice a big gain, so we'll see how they last.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:12 PM
11 Second Club

Well if a 10.2:1 small block Chevy can pick up a 10th and 2mph I am sold!
Old 12-07-2004, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

I have EFI Live and I plan to do a before and after cylinder balance test. That's actually a larger issue for me than absolute power numbers. I HATE indexing spark plugs.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:49 PM
JS
10 Second Club

3 setups,Well lets see....
1st one was a barter deal so it cost 0

2nd setup was 2 grand out of pocket
I sold the headers/heads/cam/intake for 2 grand so that cost me 0

3rd setup
I bought a used TR224 for 200
Had heads done locally for 1400
LSK after selling my TB and getting the Fast TB for nothing I'm out 500
Gaskets bolts etc 250

Grand total for all three setups
$2350--------->doesnt seem to bad to me as the car runs 10.80's

I do agree Brien and I am intregued bythese plugs.
I might try them,I'd take a solid .03 for $80 all day long.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got my spark plugs today. Since I live in Texas I got them the very next day since one of the authorized dealers is in the same state. I snapped a few photos so I should post these up here in a few days. I'll try to install these tomorrow or Thursday and will post results ASAP.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

My girl and I installed my new Brisk spark plugs and I must say that I am pretty impressed. The Z sure does run significantly better IMO. Then again a regular set of NGKs would have performed better than my Bosch +4s with 30K miles, but it really doesn't hurt to try something new. What I really like about this design is that there is no need to index the plugs . I'll pull one or two out in a few months to check up on them. They look like they should hold up well with that oversized center electrode.
I'll try to post some pics later this week.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:52 AM
On The Tree

Hey guys, which plug did they ship you?
This:

Or This:

There seems to be some confusion as to what constitutes the LGS style.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got the same one that you are holding in that photo. LGS17 or something like that.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:47 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I got the same plug as well....

Just a quick update... I changed the plugs after driving approx 80 miles on a full tank of gas. I usually got 210-220 miles per tank of gas, but when I filled up this past week, I got 240 miles. That's roughly 17 miles per gallon, up from the 15 miles per gallon prior to the plug change.... not bad... every little bit helps I guess.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

That's interesting that the LGS on the Brisk web site appears to be quite different than the one that is shipping.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:03 AM
JS
10 Second Club

IMO the only way to test them is a back to back dyno or 1/4 mile run.
Specutlating is BS,but they do look interesting...
Old 12-14-2004, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

i worked for a dyno tuning facility in north atlanta, I was sent samples for dyno testing.
ford focus S/C 11psi
turbo miata
nitrous V6 Fiero
and H22 Honda (vtec Prelude engine in a CRX)

after extensive dyno testing (Dyno Jet 248C) we never made more than 3 hp over the original graphs. All test were performed aginst new NGK and NEW Brisk units. not one other change was made. Once the base lines were set for both sets we ran the Zdyne, Perfect Power and Link units to try and -TUNE- more hp in to the Brisk again.. the NGK were able to with-stand more agressive timing than the brisk units were. All of our findings were submitted to Brisk 30 days before we released the information on the internet more than 24 months ago on focaljet, miata.net, fieroforum.com and 2 local atlanta sites. All Testing was Video taped with NO interuptions supervised by 2 ASE certified Master techs, plus myself a Ga. Tech Mechanical Engineering Grad and my friend a Ga. Tech Computer Science grad. it was a bummer.. but they sure look cool on my desk now. we think the largest gains were from used plugs to new the density of the conducting material and the gap changes quickly with used plugs.. even with 5k miles on em. new aginst new i'll stick with NGK.

edit:
we delt with Ron Prolux on Monday 3-11-2002 10:33am i still have the emails actually.

Last edited by SSick; 12-14-2004 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSick
i worked for a dyno tuning facility in north atlanta, I was sent samples for dyno testing.
ford focus S/C 11psi
turbo miata
nitrous V6 Fiero
and H22 Honda (vtec Prelude engine in a CRX)

after extensive dyno testing (Dyno Jet 248C) we never made more than 3 hp over the original graphs. All test were performed aginst new NGK and NEW Brisk units. not one other change was made. Once the base lines were set for both sets we ran the Zdyne, Perfect Power and Link units to try and -TUNE- more hp in to the Brisk again.. the NGK were able to with-stand more agressive timing than the brisk units were. All of our findings were submitted to Brisk 30 days before we released the information on the internet more than 24 months ago on focaljet, miata.net, fieroforum.com and 2 local atlanta sites. All Testing was Video taped with NO interuptions supervised by 2 ASE certified Master techs, plus myself a Ga. Tech Mechanical Engineering Grad and my friend a Ga. Tech Computer Science grad. it was a bummer.. but they sure look cool on my desk now. we think the largest gains were from used plugs to new the density of the conducting material and the gap changes quickly with used plugs.. even with 5k miles on em. new aginst new i'll stick with NGK.

edit:
we delt with Ron Prolux on Monday 3-11-2002 10:33am i still have the emails actually.
In their defense, you probably can't compare those results with results somebody might get in a 346ci V8. It is very likely we will have better results on NA cars that you will on a 4 banger with turbo or nitrous.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

From what I've been able to gather, the LS1 seems to have a bit of a mind of its own regarding plugs. Some people claim spectacular results on certain engines with the Bosch 4 prongers, but I've heard more bad than good on the LS1. I tried the Boschs on a Buick 3800 Series 1 and they worked fine, but were a major flop in a 2L 16V Mazda. Well worn iron tip Autolites worked far better. The Delco / NGK iridiums that ship in the GTO have a good reputation, but were easily outclassed by the humble TR-55 in my car.
It is my assertion that a lot of the differences people get by swapping out perfectly good plugs are a result of the random changes in indexing angle. This was my initial attraction to the Brisks, as they do not need to be indexed.
Perhaps SSick can elaborate a bit on what the results of the more aggressive timing settings actually were. Knock, misfires, or loss of power? One of the claimed advantages of the Brisk design is a faster propagation of the flame front, which on the surface of things would tend towards the result that peak power would occur at a lower spark advance, which is a good thing. I have heard it said that scrupulously indexing the plugs allows a more conservative spark without power loss as well.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:11 PM
JS
10 Second Club

There ya go,now all the seat of the pants guys can take a powder.Dyno doesnt lie,I'll stick with $2 NGKs and take my girl out to din din on the $$$ I saved on the Brisk plugs.

Can u say snake oil....

Quick Reply: Anyone Using Brisk Plugs?