Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Add muffler(s) to SLP LM to kill rasp? Best Muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 02:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could try a glasspack on each tail pipe.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:20 AM
TECH Resident

Glasspack muffler's? Wouldn't that make it even louder? How restricitve are they?
Old 12-01-2004, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

They are straight through and have very low restriction. Their fiberglass packing around the center pipe absorbs sound and makes it less loud.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Hmm....don't the glasspacks make it sound goofy though? I mean, a 1993 Chevy truck sounds like boo-boo with glass packs. Just seems like it would produce that dirty, unclean sound that comes from glasspacks.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

guys with the borlamouth need to post up some sound clips!!!!
Old 12-01-2004, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chris2000ss
guys with the borlamouth need to post up some sound clips!!!!
there's one in that link. It's not mine though.
http://www.javagator.com/z28/images/borlaslp/
Old 12-01-2004, 06:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ddelallata
there's one in that link. It's not mine though.
http://www.javagator.com/z28/images/borlaslp/
I've saw that one before..I want to hear a couple different ones
Old 12-02-2004, 02:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

The glasspack muffler doesn't make it sound goofy. It sounds great and it's very cheap. It seems most of the people in this thread offering advice have never had a LM on their car with long tubes and no cats. I was one of the first people to have a LM when they first came out in 2000. The rasp was terrible as was the sound level at 70 mph cruise. I was probably the first person to take a torch to a LM and try to quiet it down and eliminate the rasp. My total cost was actually $25 for the muffler and $20 for labor. I really didn't expect it to work but I had to start somewhere and if it didn't I could always take it out and weld the piece I took out back in. I'm not sure why or how it works but it does, and it's cheap and reversable.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:49 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gold Z
The easiest and cheapest way to get rid of the rasp and make a LM sound great is to install a cheap, generic, round body glasspack muffler in the driver's side tailpipe in the location of the stock muffler, crossways between the two sides of the car. This really is a poor man's Borla in that half the exhaust flow goes out the right tailpipe with no restrictions and the other half flows through the muffler and then out the left tailpipe. The rasp is gone, the loudness is reduced, and it sounds great. It cost me less than $50 to do it and it worked perfect. I did it because the resonance and the loudness of the LM at a 70 mph cruise would cause your teeth to hurt!
Me too for the same reasons. I'm kinda sad that it's quieter at partial throttle until I get on the highway

I didn't have as much rasp because of the cats, but there was a little that's gone now. The cool part is that you can still hear the cam hitting through the other pipe, so from anywhere but directly in front of one of the tailpipes it makes a cool deep rumble/cam hitting effect

I used a dynomax and had a buddy help with the welding. Make sure you order a 2.5" for that spot, though. I've got a 3" sitting around here because I wasn't paying attention the first time I ordered the part.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:44 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

I've done it two ways, neither of which I thought up, but both of which I've tried. First I left the LM resonator in place, and put a high flow full size Dynomax on the left side of the exhaust in the stock muffler location. Took absolutely every bit of rasp out of the system, but was just a -little- too tame sounding for me. For the last couple'a years I've been running the XR1 in place of the resonator instead. (stock y pipe, cats) Has a nice deep tone to it, although w/2.73 gears and a 3500 stall it's not easy to "stealth" by a cop in town. shrug. I hardly notice it on the highway unless I'm cruising above 70 mph, other than a nice deep hum.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KB99WS6
The killer is I am almost positive the car had an XR-1 muffler on it BEFORE I got the LT's and ory installed at a shop. Somehow, after the install it mysteriously dissapeared.

I didn't put the muffler on myself, but the previous owner listed it as one of the mods and I always had it in my signature myself. I just emailed the original owner to verify that he did in fact have an XR-1 installed in the LM.

How is the XR-1 supposed to flow? Will it kill much horsepower??
Ill tell ya strait away I spoke to him today and he told me no way was there any muffler removed from your car and I defintly believe him .You will admit yourself that you never saw the borla muffler in or on your car and havent really verified its not there either. I doubt he would ruin a good reputation to steal a used muffler worth 30 bux off your car just to replace it with a resonator from another LM because he couldnt help himself and hope you wouldnt notice. I can appriciate where you are coming from but lets get serious about this. He has alot of high dollar cars in and out of his shop everyday with really nice stuff on them and there is never any problems. This is pretty much all I can add to this conversation
Old 12-04-2004, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

Offaxis, before i say anything I just want to make sure you read this post which I made on 11/30/04, prior to my speaking to either of you:

"I don'[t plan on mentioning who it is. i can't be sure of anything. The guy could very well be totally innocent and some weird circumstances took place or maybe one of his workers pulled something behind his back, who knows. Please understand I am not saying he did anythwing wrong as I can't be sure. I emailed the board owner asking his advice on how to go about it and I am awaiting his response. Like i said this shop owner has a GREAT reputation and is very well liked, and from meeting him he is a very nice, down to earth guy. The whole thing baffles me."

With that out of the way, I will say that I certainly understand where you are coming from and I understand where the shop owner is coming from. However, I don't think that the shop owner understands at all where i am coming from.
Please allow me to explain for a minute my dealings with Domenic, who I bought the car from. He was the original owner of the car and is a very very straight up guy. In fact he was meticulous about things almost to a fault. I bought the car off of an ad on LS1.com and he lives in Connecticut so I had to go by his description of the car before I made the commitment to make the trip up there to check it out. Let me tell you that everything was EXACTLY as described.

Here is his original ad/post on LS1.com for the car:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283879

I will even copy and paste it right here: The original post from 4/7/03 unedited:

"I have been debating this all winter long, now I think I'm going to go through with it. My reasons are fairly simple, I just don't use the car. It is a 99 TA ws6 with 14,000 miles and a bunch of mods. The selling price at edmunds says $19,000, but this doesn't take into account all of my mods, which include:

BMR panahard rod, BMR strut tower brace, BMR Boxed lower control arms, SLP sub frame connectors,JBA headers, SLP loudmouth with a Borla race muffler, Brian Greene RAM Air kit,Granatelli MAF sensor,Induction air lid, B&M ripper, Custom after market stereo(alpine head unit, 2 fosgate amps, 2 infinity perfect 10's in a subthump box, CDT and KIcker Speakers, DEI perimeter sensor, 17 inch billet specialties polished aluminum wheels.

The car must with all of these mods, I don't want to deal with parting anything out. It is in absolute mint condition. What do you think I should ask for the car?"
Now think about this for a moment. Why on Earth would he just invent installing a Borla muffler in the LM exhaust? Would that really have been a decisive factor on selling the car or not??

I even remember him telling me about it in one of our conversations on the phone about how it really "tuned" the exhaust sound and telling me in specific the compliments he got onthe sound after he installed it.

Now after i just got the car back and there was no longer a Borla muffler I was like in the freagin twilight zone as to where it could have gone. So I even emailed the Domenic back to double confirm that he DEFINITELY installed the Borla in the car. These are his email responses to me:

----- Original Message -----
To: kbreese@discgraphics.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 9:06 AM
Subject: Re: Trans Am Exhaust

there is a borla muffler there. We hacked off the resonator that came with the loud mouth and welded in the borla. It doesn't look like a muffler at all, looks very similar to the slp resonator, but none the less it is there. Hope all is well.
domenic
2nd response:

----- Original Message -----
To: kbreese@discgraphics.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 4:18 PM
Subject: Re: Trans Am Exhaust

I'm not sure if there was a heat sheild or even if it said borla, all I know it was there. Maybe do some research on it hopefully get some pics of what they look like and get under the car and check it out. I beleieve I bought it at thunder racing, they were a LSI.com sponsor."

domenic

Now because the situation was so baffling, I THOUGHT I was doing a good thing by contacting you first to giveme some insight since I knew you guys were long time friends. Like maybe he had some trouble with some or one of his workers or something I don't know. Also realize its not just like a a direct accusation or attack on him. I'm assuming he isn't even the one who worked on my car. I was more concerned about the person who actually worked on my car than him the shop owner. You should be able to tell by my post here on 11/30/04 that my intentions were good. However, he apparently chose to get all PO'd at me, call me at work and start talking to me like I am some idiot who doesn't know what the heck I am talking about and how dare I etc etc. Now to be honest I understand where he is coming from, but again, i don't think he stopped to appreciate where I am coming from.

PS-THIS CAR HAS *NEVER* BEEN LEFT AT ANY OTHER SHOP BEFORE, SINCE I HAVE OWNED IT. THE ONLY PLACE ITS BEEN WAS ALL WEATHER TIRE TO GET THE WHEELS PUT ON AND THEY DID IT WITH ME STANDING RIGHT THERE, AND THAN THE ALIGNMENT ACROSS THE STREET. AGAIN, I WAS STANDING RIGHT THERE.

Last edited by KB99WS6; 12-04-2004 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

As far as the fact that we havent verified 100% if the borla is there or not, well thats true it's not 100%, but for one he told me himself when I picked up the car that there was no muffler on it. Secondly I have been under the car twice and all I see is a resonator. granted I am no expert b/c I havent seen a bunch of LM's and borla muffler's in person, but I did look up pictures of the muffler on the net along with pictures of the LM, and I can tell you what i am seeing under the car is the regular LM resonator. i can also tell you that the crazy amount of rasp i am getting between 2k-3k in no way coincides with what evreyone else is saying about the borla's sound (w/ory). There are tons of posts on this forum saying that muffler reduces 90-95% of the rasp. I'll be the first to admit i may be wrong, but i can't see anyway possible what I am hearing is muffled rasp. It is this LOUD RAP-RAP-RAP-RAP sounds

Overall its an unfortunate situation and I know it seems a lot for something so petty, but in all honesty, they cost $120 to buy a new one (plus I hear they are on backorder alot) and than another $50 or so to have it installed. Now I don't make a ton of money so $170 is a lot to me. Not to mention it's just the point of it.

Last edited by KB99WS6; 12-04-2004 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:42 AM
10 Second Club

I know he offered to put the car up in the air for you. I would defintly go over there and check out what is there and see iof there are any new welds or anything. Then you can tell who is full o ****. If its a regualr slp resonator and its doesnt look like it was just added to the exhaust then you never had the other muffler., If you see some fresh welds around the resonator Then you were right .
Old 12-05-2004, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

I don't think it's so much a matter of me being right or wrong. I am in the middle here. I amnot claiming to have installed the muffler. I think it's a matter of Domenic being right or wrong, or a matter of some really, really odd events that took place unbeknownst to me or Domenic.

As I told you several times in our phone conversation, I never would think the shop owner would do that, but after I got those email responses from Dom, confirming to me that he definitely installed the muffler, I mean seriously what do you expect from me?

Bottom line is that it's a shitty situation for both me and the shop owner. Unfortunately, it seems the shop owner only sees it as being a shitty situation for him and doesn't understand my predicament. If I made a post about it on the local board mentioning his name and made a public accusation than i would totally understand him being really pissed at me (to say the least), but thats not what I did. I would never have done that b/c obviously nothing is definite one way or the other. The whole things a friggin Nancy Drew mystery to me.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

If anyone is reading this happens to know, did Borla change the design of their XR1 race muffler's in the past few years? What I am seeing under the car now is definitely not what they look like now, but maybe they used to look more like the SLP resonator a few years back??
Old 12-05-2004, 10:11 AM
10 Second Club

To be honest I am really intertested in what the actual truth is. If I ever found out that something was removed from your car there would be hell to pay.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:15 AM
TECH Resident

believe me, it's killing me not knowing what the hell the truth is. The whole thing just really really sucks. i wish i never thought I had the damn thing, its totally not worth it at this point.