Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True duals or cut outs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 01:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by matts22
I've always heard that running through an X-pipe will actually increase the power over dumps after the collectors. That was why I said that. Is this wrong?
No....your right. In fact, Car craft (I think) did a study a while ago and found that 18 extentions actually made more power than open headers too. So yes, putting them behid the X would benefit more.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Red91vette
I am thinking about doing a cam, and I know the only way to get the most power out of it is run true duals with an x pipe and bullet style mufflers. I would love that sound, but I've already been getting complaints about just my loudmouth exhaust. With true duals and a cam, I will probably do the G5X3 cam, my motto is go big or go home, and if Im going to spend all this money and time putting a cam in, I might as well try to go as fast as possible with it. My question is, which is better, true duals or two cutouts after each header as far as power goes? I am looking to quiet the car down as much as possible, for a more stealth and for people complaining so much. So is there any real difference with cutouts vs true duals? If not, I can put stock cats and muffler on the car and run two electric cutouts and whenever I want to race, simply open them up, but when im coming home late one night, I can have them closed and not wake up the neighborhood, yet still maintain the same power. Thanks for any help.

IMO true duals is the only way to go
Old 12-12-2004, 10:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matts22
I've always heard that running through an X-pipe will actually increase the power over dumps after the collectors. That was why I said that. Is this wrong?
Actually, I am not sure. I think you would have more top end if they were after the collector and more low-mid through the X.
I say that because I would be doing it more for the sound than the power.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLASTER
No....your right. In fact, Car craft (I think) did a study a while ago and found that 18 extentions actually made more power than open headers too. So yes, putting them behid the X would benefit more.
What kind of car was this on? You don't want the exhaust to be open RIGHT where the collector ends on our cars because outside air fouls the O2 readings. The extensions keep your readings accurate so you don't run pig rich and have for power.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont think that is true. What a x pipe basically does is cancel out the sound somewhat. I would have to say right from the headers will give the most power, more top end that is. The biggest difference with the loudmouth and true duals, is the rasp in the loudmouth. I cant stand that sound! Hooker cat-back is a much quieter system because the muffler is the same size(just about) as the stock muffer. But it flows very very well. I have true duals on my car, and never looking back.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Black02SS
Here is a clip of my car with the Borlas. All was done with 3" and you can tell how much clearance I have on a lowered car. I don't hit anything.

True Duals
Very nice car! You do have a lot of clearance! Where did you get that setup done? I always thought that you wouldn't have much clearance with the XR1's because they are slightly bigger. TSP makes a bolt on true dual which would be a lot easier, but I really want the borla mufflers! How much is your car lowered and what size cam do you have? Thanks for the clip.

I guess I am going to go with a 3" true dual with borla XR1 mufflers, see if I can't fab up my own, because no one around here does mandrel bends. Do you guys think 3" is big enough? I plan on doing the G5X3 cam, and then spraying a 125-150 shot on top of that, eventually.