Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does your March pulley look like?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 04:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by M6HuggerSS
so it sounds to me like if you want some added insurance to help the longevitty of your
motor you should get a MARCH ....
but if you are just looking for an extra 10hp and possibly harming your crank , get the ASP. which has NO extra dampning...
You will harm your crank/motor no more with an ASP than you would with a stock pulley (likely less actually because the ASP is still more 'balanced' I bet), and no an ASP will not see anywhere near a 10hp increase over a March either.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's funny how some people don't like the march cause it's heavier, and other people won't run lightweight flywheels cause it'll hurt their launch.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:03 AM
12 Second Club

FWIW, when I ordered my March pulley, I asked a guy at Thunder Racing about any difference in power between the ASP and March setups. He said the March made more power on the dyno, if I remember, 1-2 hp. I didn't get into the details, but it was a back-to-back run on his own car.

Chris
Old 12-20-2004, 02:09 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by mean02Z28
FWIW, when I ordered my March pulley, I asked a guy at Thunder Racing about any difference in power between the ASP and March setups. He said the March made more power on the dyno, if I remember, 1-2 hp. I didn't get into the details, but it was a back-to-back run on his own car.
This may be true, but I have also seen two back to back dyno runs yield more than a 6rwhp difference between them with no other changes made to the car.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:23 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Different cars, different dynos, different days.

Impossible to say which one is better. FWIW, I'm only going with the March because I can get it really cheap - otherwise I'd go with the ASP.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
Different cars, different dynos, different days.

Impossible to say which one is better. FWIW, I'm only going with the March because I can get it really cheap - otherwise I'd go with the ASP.
Hahahaha hook me up man!! I'm thinkin about gettin a March the beginning of the year.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and no an ASP will not see anywhere near a 10hp increase over a March either.
i didnt mean a 10hp gain OVER the MARCH i ment a 10hp total over stock...

i didnt know that the MARCH made HP over the stock... i thought it was just for more dampning!
Old 12-20-2004, 07:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by M6HuggerSS
i didnt know that the MARCH made HP over the stock... i thought it was just for more dampning!
Yes, it too is an underdrive pulley as well as somewhat (as in, not quite an ATI) of a dampener.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Gotta remember guys that the increase in HP isn't because the pulley weighs less. The increase comes from underdriving the accessories like Power steering, Water pump, alternator and AC. If they aren't spinning so fast they don't use as much HP.

A smaller lighter pulley will help the motor itself spin up faster like a light weight flywheel but won't add much HP.

Cheers

Mike
Old 12-20-2004, 09:54 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 Cobra
Gotta remember guys that the increase in HP isn't because the pulley weighs less. The increase comes from underdriving the accessories like Power steering, Water pump, alternator and AC. If they aren't spinning so fast they don't use as much HP.

A smaller lighter pulley will help the motor itself spin up faster like a light weight flywheel but won't add much HP.

Cheers

Mike
Very good point.

Almost like saying the lighter pulley requires more omph to keep it spinning at higher revolutions, whereas the heavier pulley might take more omph to get it going on the low end, but it's momentum keeps it going on the top end. Maybe that doesn't make sense
Old 12-20-2004, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
Very good point.

Almost like saying the lighter pulley requires more omph to keep it spinning at higher revolutions, whereas the heavier pulley might take more omph to get it going on the low end, but it's momentum keeps it going on the top end. Maybe that doesn't make sense
The heavy and the light pulley will make much the same power at top end it's just the lighter one will rev quicker because it has less inertia.

The HP gain from most of these pulleys is that the overall diameter is smaller than the original. Therefore the engine accessories aren't being spun as fast and using as much power. It's just gearing everything down a bit.

The other area where they might gain you some HP is that they can more effectively damp out power robbing vibration in your rotating assembly.

Cheers
Old 12-21-2004, 01:20 AM
10 Second Club

I agree, but less weight is still less weight, especially off the nose...for someone like myself that used to actually take the cigarette lighter out of the socket for racing that 4 pounds means A LOT.

The other area where they might gain you some HP is that they can more effectively damp out power robbing vibration in your rotating assembly.
True, if that happens to be a particular problem on one's motor yes.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Cheers
The ASP pulley's outer ring is steel with an inner hub of aluminum. Both pieces are steel with the March pulley. Tests were conducted that showed the ASP to dampen better than the factory harmonic balancer. Dampening comes from the outer ring, not the inner hub. I would venture to say the ASP dampens better or equal to the March.

Less weight equals better et every time without a doubt!